This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This air fryer bratwurst is amazing! It’s a super easy recipe and the air fryer perfectly cooks the brats making them so tender and juicy in just 15 minutes! They make a fabulous lunch in a bun, dinner with sides, or addition to breakfast with eggs!
Air Fryer Bratwurst
Yes! You can totally air fry brats and it’s so darn delicious! No need to get your grill out! The air fryer does all the work to get that crispness on the outside and juiciness on the inside. The sausages are full of so much flavor, which is exactly what makes bratwurst so famous. There is no doubt about it! This is going to be your new favorite way to cook these yummy sausages!
All you have to do to make air fryer bratwurst is pick out your favorite brand of brats, put them in the air fryer, and cook for just a few minutes! It’s that simple! No grill clean up needed to get the distinctive grilled bratwurst smokey flavor. It’s so good!
Not to mention, air fryer brats are gluten-free, keto, and low carb! Just serve them with some sauteed onions and peppers along with your favorite side dish! It’s a meal in no time that your family and friends will love!
What is Bratwurst?
Informally known as brats, bratwurst is a type of German sausage that dates back to 1313 in the city of Nuremberg, which still today is renowned for the production of sausages. The name bratwurst is derived from Old High German in which the word brat means finely chopped meat and the word wurst means sausage. It’s typically made from pork, but you can find beef and veal variations.
How to Cook Bratwurst in the Air Fryer
Making air fried brats is so easy! All you need is a package of your favorite bratwurst and the air fryer does all the work! You can use any brand or type of bratwurst you wish. This recipe will perfectly cook any sausage.
To cook, open the package of brats and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket. It’s important not to crowd the sausages in the basket to ensure that they cook evenly.
Now, put the basket into the air fryer and cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes flipping them over halfway through to ensure that they cook properly. Also, it’s important to cook the brats according to the time and temperature stated in the instructions for the best results.
When the brats are done cooking, they should be beautifully browned and have an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit when checked with a digital cooking thermometer. If the sausages are not yet at 165 degrees, you will need to put them back into the air fryer to cook for another 5 minutes. It’s always crucial to make sure that any type of pork product is fully cooked before eating.
And that is all there is to it! Toss brats into an air fryer, cook, and enjoy! And if you love sausages you should also check out my quick and easy recipe for air fried Italian sausage or breakfast sausage links!
- Make sure that the internal temperature of the bratwurst comes to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit when cooking sausages. You can easily check using a cheap and easy to find digital thermometer.
- After cooking the sausages, place the brats on a paper towel when you remove them from the air fryer to absorb some of the grease.
- Don’t forget to flip the sausages halfway through the cooking time to ensure that they are brown on both sides and cook evenly.
How to Store Leftovers
Air fryer bratwurst will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container or sealed bag. To reheat, simply pop them into the microwave for about 4 minutes on medium or heat them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 to 10 minutes. If reheating from frozen, you can thaw the cooked brats out in the fridge overnight and follow the directions above or you can put them into the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Bratwurst
Air fried brats are a great start to a wonderful meal! You can put them between a bun and top them with some pepper and onions for a yummy hoagie or pair the sausages with your favorite sides for an even heartier meal. Here are a few of my top choices to serve alongside air fryer bratwurst.
- Easy Cauliflower “Potato” Salad- Keto Friendly
- Mac N Cheese In The Instant Pot
- Restaurant-Style Creamy Coleslaw
- Potato Salad In The Instant Pot
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In The Air Fryer
- Carrot Slaw With Apples And Radishes
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Cooking in the air fryer is healthy, fun, and easy! So if you liked this air fryer bratwurst receipt, here are a few of my other tasty air fryer recipes that will knock your socks off!
- How To Make an Omelette In The Air Fryer
- Frozen Crab Cakes In The Air Fryer
- Brownies From Box Mix In The Air Fryer
- Frozen Shrimp Tempura In The Air Fryer
- Healthy Air Fried Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Air Fryer Bratwurst
- 1 lb Bratwurst
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Digital Thermometer
- Lay the bratwurst in the air fryer basket in a single layer making sure not to crowd the sausages.
- Then put the basket into the air fryer. Now, cook the brats at 390°F for 15 minutes turning the sausages halfway through for even cooking.
- When done, transfer the bratwurst from the air fryer to your serving dish of choice to enjoy!
- Blackened Baked Tilapia
- Healthy No-Mayo Broccoli Apple Salad
- How To Cook Frozen Pierogies In The Instant Pot
- Italian Sausage In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sausage And Peppers Recipe
- Breakfast Sausage In Air Fryer