This Instant Pot potato salad recipe is truly life-changing! Potato salad will be ready in less than 30 minutes, and this includes cutting the potatoes!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and want to make potato salad today, just follow my regular recipe for best ever potato salad and also check out my article “What Is An Instant Pot“. But if you are an Instant Pot owner, Instant Pot is definitely THE way to go when it comes to a potato salad. Once you try making a potato salad in the Instant Pot, you’ll never make it any other way!
How To Make Instant Pot Potato Salad
Instant Pot potato salad method is so amazing because eggs and potatoes cook together in the Instant Pot at the same time! Put cut-up potatoes, 1 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp vinegar and 4 cups of water in the Instant Pot, put eggs on top and pressure cook on High for ZERO (0) minutes, followed by Quick Release (QR). Eggs and potatoes will be perfectly cooked, and the potatoes will be perfectly seasoned!
If you are wondering how can 0 minutes work – well, with this technique things cook while the Instant Pot is coming to pressure. Since we are using 4 cups of water for this recipe, it will take longer to come to pressure (about 10-15 minutes total), which is enough to cook potatoes and eggs to perfection!
I have a bunch of other recipes that use a “zero minutes” technique – check them out here: Instant Pot Zero Minutes Pressure Recipes.
While the potatoes and eggs are cooking, chop the onions and celery and make a mayo dressing (see a printable recipe card on the bottom of this article for exact ingredients and instructions).
When the Instant Pot beeps that it finished cooking potatoes and eggs, quick release the steam, remove the eggs to a bowl with ice water and drain the potatoes.
Return drained potatoes in the pot of the Instant Pot (just so you don’t have to wash another bowl), peel and chop the eggs and add to potatoes, add chopped vegetables and mayo dressing to potatoes and mix everything together to make this epic Instant Pot potato salad.
Chill potato salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Potato salad will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This is a perfect make-ahead recipe!
Secret Ingredient In Instant Pot Potato Salad
This is the best potato salad I ever tasted, period. The secret ingredient in this recipe is sweet pickle relish. When added to the mayo dressing, it makes this potato salad truly addictive. People just gobble up this potato salad and rave about it crazily. You definitely need this amazing Instant Pot potato salad in your life!
If you like this Instant Pot potato salad, you will also love these easy Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Hamburgers – don’t slave over the hot grill, make burgers in the Instant Pot instead! They are so juicy!
- Instant Pot Hot Dogs – yes, Instant Pot is perfect not just for burgers, but also for hot dogs! This is the best way to make hot dogs for a crowd!
- Instant Pot Ribs – these are the best BBQ baby back ribs I’ve ever tried! Truly fall-off-the-bone! Super easy in the IP!
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – perfectly baked potatoes in your Instant Pot, you will love them with your favorite toppings! Yumm!
- Instant Pot Pasta – cooking pasta in the Instant Pot is life-changing! You don’t even need to drain it, it absorbs all the water! Talk about all the pasta salad possibilities :)
- Instant Pot Lemonade – yes, you can even make lemonade in your Instant Pot! Perfect for picnics with potato salad!
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- 8 potatoes
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 cups cold water for pressure cooking
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika optional
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Put cubed potatoes, water, salt and vinegar in the Instant Pot. Put eggs on top of the potatoes.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to zero (0) minutes on High pressure (the potatoes and egg will cook through while the Instant Pot is coming to pressure).
- While the Instant Pot is coming to pressure, peel and chop the onion and chop the celery.
- In a small bowl, mix mayo, mustard and sweet pickle relish to make a dressing.
- When the Instant Pot beeps that it's done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water. Drain the potatoes and return to the Instant Pot.
- Chop the eggs and add to the potatoes. Add chopped onion, celery, the mayo dressing, pepper and sweet paprika. Mix the potato salad until combined.
- Refrigerate the potato salad for at least 1 hour before serving.