This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
These Instant Pot Bratwursts are too easy to make and come out soft and tender you can cut right through them! Broil for a few minutes after cooking for crispy brown skin and enjoy for a quick dinner or lunch.
You’ll love how easy it is to cook brats in a pressure cooker for perfectly cooked sausages every time. It’s a quick and easy weeknight dinner the whole family can enjoy!
To make this a full meal, cook up my sauteed peppers and onions with a side of air fryer french fries and homemade coleslaw. There are many options to enjoy these perfectly cooked bratwurst made in the instant pot in under 25 minutes.
Why I love cooking Bratwurst in the Instant Pot
- So quick and easy – Cooking brats in a pressure cooker is effortless. You simply add water and the sausages to the instant pot and set the timer to cook, then use the quick-release pressure until done.
- Cooks perfectly – These come out so juicy, so tender, and perfect every time! You can enjoy them straight from the pot, or brown them for a few minutes before eating.
- Easy to cook more at one time – This recipe for cooking bratwurst in the Instant Pot can cook as few as one sausage or a couple of packs at a time. No need to adjust the water or time, either!
- They have that snap – If you love that traditional snap of a brat after cooking then you’ll love this recipe.
Cooking these sausages in an Instant Pot only requires the liquid and meat. Of course, you can add more to the pot, but this is one of the simplest forms of cooking and requires little work.
- Bratwurst – I love the Johnsonville Beer Bratwurst, but you can use any brand and flavor you like! They all cook the same in the Instant Pot.
- Water – One of the best things about using a pressure cooker is you only need water to create a high-pressure steam that cooks foods through perfectly.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Cook Bratwurst in an Instant Pot
With just two ingredients, there are just as easy of steps as ingredients. Let the machine do all the work while you enjoy the tender, juicy sausages when done.
Step 1: Add water to the pressure cooker and place the sausages inside.
Step 2: Add the lid and set it to a pressure cooker for 15 minutes.
Once the timer sounds, use the quick-pressure release valve. Once all the pressure has been released they’re ready to enjoy!
- Crisp up and brown the sausages. Place the bratwursts under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp and brown the skin. You could also use the air-fry for this.
- Use another liquid instead of water. Add more flavor to your brats by using chicken broth instead of water. Or, take it up a notch and use beer!
- Instant pot sausage and potatoes. Make a meal out of these pressure cooker sausages by adding cubed potatoes and quartered onions to the pot for a full meal.
- Sear the brats first! – Before pressure cooking, turn the Instant pot to sautee and add a tablespoon of butter. Once hot, add the brats and brown both sides for a few minutes then turn off the saute. Remove the sausages and add the water, scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add a metal rack to the pot and place the sausage on it. Set the timer for 7 minutes and manually release the pressure.
How long does it take to cook bratwursts in an Instant Pot?
Set the timer for 15 minutes and then use the quick release for the pressure.
How many brats can I cook at one time in a pressure cooker?
Cook 5 or 15, it’s a great way to serve a crowd when you can make a bunch at a time.
Can I cook bratwurst from in an Instant Pot?
Yes, brats can be cooked from frozen in a pressure cooker, just add about 2 extra minutes to the cooking time.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Sausage and Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Sausage with Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers
- Brats In Air Fryer
- Baked Sausages And Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Bratwursts
- 1 package bratwurst
- 1 cup water
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Turn on the Instant Pot and add one cup of water. Place bratwurst in the water and close the lid. Set settings to high pressure and timer to 15 minutes.
- Once done, quick release steam. They are ready to enjoy once steam has release. To brown, broil or air fry for a few minutes until crispy.
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Frozen Burgers
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Frozen Corn On The Cob