Instant Pot pumpkin comes out perfectly cooked and is truly effortless! Once you try cooking whole pumpkin in the Instant Pot, you’ll never make it any other way!
Instant Pot is my favorite method of cooking pumpkin, and it’s twice as fast as baking it in the oven! Instant Pot pumpkin cooks up super tender – perfect for homemade pumpkin puree!
Cooking pumpkin in the Instant Pot is extremely easy. Just put the whole pumpkin in Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water and pressure cook on High pressure for 25 minutes, followed by a quick release. That’s all there is to it!
An awesome thing about cooking pumpkin in the Instant Pot is that you don’t have to cut raw pumpkin. Those pumpkins can be quite hard, and who wants to struggle with cutting it 🙂 You don’t even need to cut holes in the pumpkin for steam escape like you do when baking it in the oven. When Instant Pot finishes cooking the pumpkin, it’s soft like butter and the skin is already split and comes off effortlessly!
Of course, in order to cook the whole pumpkin in the Instant Pot, it needs to fit in the Instant Pot 🙂 If the pumpkin fits but the stem prevents the lid from closing, just cut off the stem. If your pumpkin is so big that it doesn’t fit, just cut it into quarters (or as small pieces as necessary) and then put pieces in the pot. If cooking pumpkin pieces instead of the whole pumpkin, use the pressure cooking time of 15 minutes on High pressure.
Once the pumpkin is cooked, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, then separate pumpkin flesh from the skin.
To make pumpkin puree, simply process the cooked pumpkin flesh in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Looking for yummy baked goodies to make with this homemade Instant Pot pumpkin puree? Here you go:
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup – so creamy and delicious, this is a perfect soup for Fall!
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake – even if you never make cheesecake before, this recipe is so easy and always turns out perfect! Everyone loves this pumpkin cheesecake!
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out my Instant Pot recipes collection!
- 1 pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- Put a whole pumpkin and water in the Instant Pot. Close the lid (trim off the pumpkin stem if it gets on the way) and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 25 minutes on High pressure.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam.
- Remove cooked pumpkin from the Instant Pot. The cooked pumpkin will be split and the skin will separate easily. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the pumpkin seeds with a spoon. Separate pumpkin flesh from the skin.
- To make pumpkin puree, process the cooked pumpkin flesh in a food processor or blender until smooth.