There is no better pumpkin pie than homemade pumpkin pie! This Instant Pot pumpkin pie is truly foolproof! It’s so easy and comes out perfect every time!
This recipe is a remake of my classic oven-baked pumpkin pie, adapted to the Instant Pot! Don’t own an Instant Pot? Learn more about it through my article “What Is An Instant Pot” – this is my favorite kitchen gadget!
Why make pumpkin pie in the Instant Pot when you can bake it in the oven? Two main reasons: (1) the oven-baked pumpkin pie tends to crack while the Instant Pot one NEVER cracks and (2) perhaps your oven will already be taken by something else, like Thanksgiving turkey :)
Using the oven to bake your pumpkin pie is like a lottery – sometimes the pie will crack and sometimes it won’t. Of course, you can mask the cracks by topping your pie with whipped cream, but if you want a GUARANTEE that you pumpkin pie won’t crack, you need an Instant Pot. Instant Pot pumpkin pie is simply amazing! Once you try homemade pumpkin pie, you will never want to put the store-bought one into your mouth!
If you have been following my blog, you probably already seen my Instant Pot pumpkin cheesecake recipe that I posted earlier. These two look almost identical, but they taste completely different and are both out of this world! Not sure which one to make for Thanksgiving? I’d say make both! There is no such thing as too much cheesecake and too much pumpkin pie :)
How To Make Pumpkin Pie In The Instant Pot
Before you make this pumpkin pie in the Instant Pot, you need to make sure you have a baking pan that fits inside the Instant Pot. I’m using a 7-inch springform pan – it is the perfect size for Instant Pot baking. If you want a classic shape pie dish, you can use a 6 inch glass mini-pie dish (but cut the filling in half for this one).
To make a pumpkin pie, you need a crust and you need a filling. My recipe is using classic graham cracker crust. I don’t pre-bake the crust, I just freeze it briefly while making a filling. But if you do want to pre-bake the crust using Instant Pot, you surely can – check out the details on my Instant Pot graham cracker crust page.
If you’d like to make this pumpkin pie gluten-free, use my walnut crust recipe instead of graham cracker crust. The pumpkin filling is already gluten-free.
The pumpkin filling consists of very simple ingredients – pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Simply mix everything in a bowl and it’s done! You can use canned pumpkin puree or the fresh one. Of course, fresh pumpkin puree tastes the best (and you can make it in the Instant Pot too!) – check out my Instant Pot pumpkin puree recipe.
To cook the pumpkin pie in the Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water to the inner pot and insert the trivet (the rack that came with the Instant Pot) with the handles up. You will use those handles later to lift out the pumpkin pie from the pot. Carefully lower the pumpkin pie on a trivet. Do not cover the pumpkin pie – unlike many other Instant Pot desserts that are covered with foil, this one is cooked uncovered. Pressure cook the pumpkin pie for 30 minutes on High pressure, then do natural release (NR) for 10 minutes and quick release (QR) the remaining steam. Carefully remove the pumpkin pie from Instant Pot (use the heatproof mittens) and let cool at room temperature. Enjoy!
If you like this Instant Pot pumpkin pie, you will also love these easy recipes:
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake – another awesome pumpkin dessert made in the Instant Pot! Cheesecakes never crack in the Instant Pot, it’s a game changer!
- Instant Pot Cornbread – perfect texture and tastes so good, this is the only cornbread recipe you’ll ever need!
- Instant Pot Banana Bread – got a brown banana? Make banana bread, right in your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie
Graham cracker crust
- 8 graham crackers or 1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
For pressure cooking
- 1 cup water
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click for more info)
Prepare the pan
- Spray a baking pan that fits inside the Instant Pot with a non-stick cooking spray (I used a 7-inch springform pan).
Make the crust
- Put graham crackers, sugar and butter in a food processor and process until smooth. Press the crumb mixture into bottom and sides of your baking pan. Put the crust in the freezer while you are making the filling.
Make the filling
- Put the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the crust.
Cook pumpkin pie in Instant Pot
- Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Insert the trivet (the rack that comes with the Instant Pot) with the handles up. Carefully lower the pan with the pumpkin pie inside the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. DO NOT cover the pan with foil or any other cover.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 30 minutes on High pressure.
- When it's done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release (QR) the steam.
- Carefully lift out the pumpkin pie from Instant Pot by the handles of the trivet (it will be very hot, so make sure to use heatproof gloves).
- Let the pumpkin pie cool at room temperature. If serving the next day, refrigerate.
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Bread – so easy to make, moist and delicious!
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup – so creamy and delicious, this cream of pumpkin soup is perfect for Fall season!
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast + Instant Pot Gravy – this is a perfect holiday combo, super juicy and tender courtesy of the Instant Pot!