This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This chicken tortilla soup cooks completely in the Instant Pot and uses very few ingredients! All you have to do is add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and you’ll have delicious soup in no time.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is a great way to meal prep for a busy week ahead, or make a big dinner to feed your family. You also don’t need a lot of ingredients to make this yet it is very flavorful. Tastes just like the soup in a Mexican restaurant!
I love making this when it is cold outside and I am craving something warm and filling to eat!
Using the Instant Pot is great because you don’t have to worry about watching the soup while it is cooking, leaving you time to do whatever else you need to get done! The Instant Pot is perfect for cooking chicken tortilla soup!
I hope you and your family love it as much as mine does!
How to Prepare Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
First you will want to gather all of the necessary ingredients to prepare this soup before starting.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts about 1.5 lbs
- 1 32 oz. container of chicken broth
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 can of black beans
Only 5 ingredients! Not too bad, right?
For the topping, you will also need some tortillas. Additionally you can top with some avocado, cheese, or sour cream if you like!
First pre-heat your oven to 400F.
The next step to prepare the chicken tortilla soup is to add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot and then pour in the broth.
Next add in the full jar of salsa. Then open the can of beans and add the whole can. No need to drain!
Then add the bag of corn to the pot. You can use a can of corn alternatively.
Once all the ingredients are in the pot, close the lid and turn the valve to the Sealing position. Set the time to 20 minutes and press the Pressure Cook button on High.
While the soup is cooking, you will make the tortilla topping in the oven!
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Then use a kitchen shears to cut 5 corn tortillas into slender strips.
You will bake them in the oven so they become crunchy! Spread them out on the baking sheet in a single layer.
Then place in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes or until crunchy to your liking.
When the Instant Pot is done cooking, use the Quick Release function to release the steam.
When the pin has dropped, you can open the lid of the Instant Pot.
Now you will shred the chicken.
To shred the chicken easily, you will use a food processor (see how to shred chicken in food processor).
Remove the chicken breasts using a tongs and place on cutting board. Cut your chicken into large chunks that fit in your food processor.
Fit your food processor with a slicing blade first.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can also use two forks to shred your chicken.
Add the chicken to the food processor and shred.
Then add the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot soup and stir to combine.
Transfer some of the soup into a bowl and top with the crispy tortillas.
I like to use shredded cheese on top of my soup as well! You can also use chopped avocado and sour cream if you like!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup would make a great lunch on its own during a busy workday or a light dinner! This soup is quite filling on its own and is a complete meal. It might be nice with some cornbread or rolls though!
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you liked this Instant Pot recipe for soup, check out some of my other soup and Instant Pot recipes. I love making soup in my Instant Pot so I can do other things and not have to worry about it!
- Instant Pot Ramen Noodles
- Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Sweet Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Keto Chili Recipe Without Beans
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1.5 lbs Chicken breast
- 1 jar Salsa
- 32 oz Chicken stock
- 1 bag Frozen corn
- 15 oz Black beans
- 5 Corn tortillas optional
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- First add the chicken breast into the Instant Pot along with the broth, salsa, corn, and black beans.
- Then set the Instant Pot to Sealing and set it to Pressure Cook on High for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, cut up the tortillas into thin strips if using.
- Place in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in oven for 15 minutes.
- When they are crispy, remove and set aside.
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, use the Quick Release function to release the pressure. When the pin has dropped, open the Instant Pot.
- Take out the chicken breast and place on a cutting board.
- Cut them into large chunks and process in the food processor using the slicing blade.
- Then add then shredded chicken back into the soup and stir.
- Serve in bowls topped with the crispy tortillas and other toppings of choice.