This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
These Instant Pot refried beans are amazing! Once you try these made-from-scratch authentic Mexican refried beans, you’ll never want to eat the canned ones!
These Instant Pot refried beans are mouthwatering! So smooth and full of flavor, this is the only refried beans recipe you’ll ever need!
Without the Instant Pot, making refried beans from scratch would involve soaking the dry beans for hours and then boiling them for hours on the stove. Who in the modern world would have time for that? Before the Instant Pot, the only practical options for busy cooks would be making refried beans from canned beans (or just buying refried beans already canned).
Instant Pot truly revolutionized the process of making refried beans from scratch! If you don’t own an Instant Pot, see my article “What Is An Instant Pot“.
No Soaking Needed For Instant Pot Refried Beans!
These refried beans are made from scratch from dry pinto beans or navy beans. The best part of this recipe that you don’t need to soak the dry beans. Just dump the beans and other ingredients in the Instant Pot, press the button and you are good to go! And unlike a pot of boiling water on the stove, you don’t need to “babysit” the Instant Pot. You can leave the house and the Instant Pot would still be doing its thing – your presence is not needed!
How To Make Instant Pot Refried Beans
This simple recipe uses 4 ingredients:
- dry beans (traditional types of beans for refried beans are pinto beans or navy beans, but you can use any kind of beans)
- liquid (chicken broth or vegetable broth or water)
- fat (butter, lard, oil or just omit it)
- seasoning (I like Taco seasoning, especially my homemade one, but you can use any spices you like)
You can be creative with the ingredients to adapt the recipe to your needs!
Just put all ingredient in the Instant Pot (the quantities are in the recipe card on the bottom of this article) and cook for 80 minutes on High pressure, followed by quick release (QR). Then puree the beans by using an immersion blender or food processor. Your homemade refried beans are ready!
Are Refried Beans Healthy?
Yes, beans are very nutritious and good for you!
The authentic Mexican recipe for refried beans uses lard for the “fat” component, but you can use a healthier fat of your choice such as olive oil or butter. Besides, lard is a very specialized item and who has time to search for it at the grocery store :)
If you are trying to cut calories, you can omit the fat altogether from this recipe, as the refried beans are already smooth and creamy and yummy even without the added fat.
Vegan Refried Beans Version
In the authentic refried beans recipe, 2 animal products are used: chicken broth and lard. You can easily make vegan refried beans by using vegetable broth or water instead of chicken broth, and olive oil instead of lard. Super easy! Refried beans are an awesome addition to a vegan diet as they are super filling and full of protein!
How To Store Homemade Refried Beans
Refried beans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and reheated in the microwave as needed. You can keep freshly made Instant Pot refried beans warm for several hours by using the “Keep Warm” button of your Instant Pot. Refried beans can also be frozen for up to 6 months.
Freezing Refried Beans
To freeze refried beans, portion them in ziploc freezer bags, squeeze the air out, seal the bags and put in the freezer. Thaw them in a refrigerator overnight, or on a Defrost setting in the microwave. Once thawed, stir so the consistency is smooth and not watery, then heat in the microwave until hot.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like Instant Pot refried beans, you will also like these easy Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Baba Ganoush – this epic Middle Eastern dip is so addictive!
- Instant Pot Lentils And Brown Rice – this is a perfect vegan main dish that’s super filling. Just dump everything in the Instant Pot and press the button!
- Instant Pot Fajitas – peppers and onions cooked in minutes, so easy! Use them in tacos, burritos, salads, you name it!
- Instant Pot Corn On The Cob – this is the only way you’ll make corn from now on, truly the best ever!
- Instant Pot Baked Apples – stuffed with cinnamon and raisins, these baked apples are truly mouthwatering!
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice – tastes like the one from Chipotle!
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Put all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Close the lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 80 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam. Open the Instant Pot and puree the beans using an immersion blender or a food processor. Add more liquid or fat or seasonings to taste if needed.