This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
These homemade Mexican flour tortillas taste amazing! Fresh, warm and delicious – you’ll want to eat the whole stack! Making them yourself is really easy too!
Homemade flour tortillas taste so much better than store-bought! They taste so fresh, you just won’t believe the difference! Can you imagine eating these yummy Mexican tortillas while they are piping hot?
If you ever looked at the ingredient list of store-bought flour tortillas, you will see a long list of chemicals and preservatives. After all, the manufacturers need to add all that chemical stuff to keep tortillas from spoiling :) Homemade flour tortillas have no yucky chemicals, just the simple ingredients that you understand!
These tortillas have just 4 simple ingredients: flour, salt, vegetable oil and water. Chances are you already have all this stuff on hand, so go ahead and make these tortillas right now :) No need to go to the grocery store! A basic pantry recipe that tastes so good – amazing!
To make these flour tortillas, combine flour, salt, oil and water to make a simple dough. Divide the dough into 10 balls, roll each piece into a thin circle, then cook on pre-heated non-stick frying pan for approximately 1 minute per side. That’s it!
Authentic Mexican tortillas are cooked on a seasoned cast iron skillet, but regular non-stick pan will do just fine :)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- Put flour and salt in a large bowl and mix. Add oil and water and stir with a spoon until combined. Continue kneading with your hands until the mixture turns into a smooth dough ball.
- Divide the dough ball into 10 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Put the balls of dough back into a bowl and cover with a damp paper towel so they don't dry out.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with a cooking spray and preheat it over medium heat.
- With a rolling pin, roll out one dough ball at a time on a floured surface, making it as thin as possible and round.
- Put the tortilla on the frying pan and cook for 1 minute, or until the bottom is golden-brown. Flip with a spatula and cook on the other side for 1 minute. (While the tortilla is cooking, roll out the next ball of dough).
- Put cooked tortillas on a plate and cover them with a towel to keep them from drying out.
If you love Mexican food, you will also love these:
Mexican hot chocolate – truly rich and luscious, spiced with cinnamon!
Mexican chicken tortilla soup – made easy in a crockpot!
Beef enchiladas – so hearty and cheesy!