Mexican Atole hot drink is sweet, thick and cinnamony – perfect to warm you on a cold winter day!
This is an authentic Mexican recipe for Atole. If you need 2 hot drinks for the winter season, that would be Mexican Hot Chocolate and Atole. They are both thick and sweet, and one is brown and another one is white :) Both these Mexican drinks are unique and will warm you from the inside out. You need these thick comforting drinks in your life!
Mexican Atole is made with masa harina – a corn flour (it’s gluten-free). Please do not substitute it with cornmeal – it won’t work. The bag should actually say “Masa Harina” and you can get it in any large supermarket (in the section where they have different types of flour) or a Mexican supermarket. And if you don’t feel like searching for it at the store, just click here to order Masa Harina on Amazon :)
How To Make Mexican Atole Drink
This authentic Atole recipe uses 6 simple ingredients – masa harina, milk, water, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Just combine and whisk all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to simmer and cook on low heat, whisking every 30 seconds, for 7 minutes. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and serve hot! For the exact ingredient proportions, as always, see the printable recipe card on the bottom on this article. Enjoy!
If you like Mexican atole drink, you will also love these easy Mexican recipes:
- Mexican Hot Chocolate – this authentic Mexican hot chocolate is a true chocolate in a liquid form! So yummy!
- Best Ever Guacamole – if you are going to make one guacamole recipe, this one is IT! Tastes like the one from the Mexican restaurant!
- Flour Tortillas From Scratch – these fresh homemade tortillas are so much better than store-bought!
- Mexican Enchiladas – have authentic Mexican enchiladas without leaving your house! They are so simple and easy to make!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – this Mexican tortilla soup is so amazing! Super easy to make in your crockpot!
Looking for more drink recipes? Browse all drink recipes here >>
Mexican Atole Drink
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and mix with a whisk to combine. Heat over medium-high heat, whisking every 30 seconds, until the mixture starts simmering.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking every 30 seconds, for 7 minutes. Serve hot or warm.