This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This easy recipe for Instant Pot great northern beans is amazing! It’s so simple with no need to soak the beans and cook them for hours! The Instant Pot does all the work for you and makes perfectly cooked tender beans every time!
Instant Pot Great Northern Beans
Pressure cooking dried great northern beans is a total game changer! Once you try making beans from scratch you will never want to buy canned beans ever again. And why would you!?! The Instant Pot saves you cooking time, is more bang for your buck, and the beans cook up fantastic.
All you have to do is put dried beans and water into the Instant Pot, set the timer, and pressure cook for less than an hour! Then drain your beans and serve! The recipe could not be any more simple. You are going to love cooking dried beans in the Instant Pot!
Not to mention, Instant Pot great northern beans are a really versatile recipe. You can add them to soups, salads, or serve them as a main or side. They also freeze incredibly well making leftovers an added bonus.
Why Great Northern Beans Are Healthy
Great northern beans made in the Instant Pot are not only tasty but good for you too! They are high in fiber, magnesium, and zinc as well as potassium. In fact, one serving of great northern beans will supply about 15 percent of your daily potassium needs. The beans are also a great source of protein containing several essential amino acids. And they are the complex carbs, which are the good carbs that your body needs.
How to Make Instant Pot Great Northern Beans
This recipe only requires one main ingredient! Simple, affordable, easy to find dried beans!
- 16oz Dried Northern Beans
- 8 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
The Instant Pot makes it so simple and easy. There is no need to soak the dried beans ahead of time. All you need to do before you begin the recipe is to rinse the beans. That’s it for prep!
Once the pin has dropped, drain your perfectly cooked beans using a colander. Then serve them as a side alongside your favorite meal or add them to your favorite dishes to enjoy!
How to Store
Cooked Instant Pot great northern beans can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you choose to freeze the beans you’ll want to allow them to thaw out at room temperature before using.
How to Reheat Cooked Beans
You can reheat cooked great northern beans by putting them in the microwave for about 3 minutes on medium. You can also reheat them on the stove in a saucepan on medium for about 7 to 8 minutes. If you choose the stove method, I suggest adding a little water or stock to the beans to keep them from drying out.
Instant Pot Great Northern Beans Recipe Variations
Great northern beans have a very mild taste, which makes them easy to infuse with flavor. So you can easily add any herbs or spices you want when cooking your beans. Some good choices are thyme, oregano, and basil. Another option for more added flavor is to use stock when cooking the beans in place of the water or even add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the liquid for more depth. You can also season the beans after they are cooked by mixing your herbs or seasonings of choice into the hot beans.
What to Serve with Great Northern Beans
These delicious beans are a great plant-based main course or side dish. You can add them to so many different things. These are just a few of my favorites.
- Pea Salad With Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan
- How to Make Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Easy Kale Salad with Raisins and Sunflower Seeds
- Chicken Soup With Tomato and Corn
- Italian Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you liked my Instant Pot great northern beans be sure to check out some of my other amazing Instant Pot recipes. It’s a fun way to cook that saves time and is super easy.
- How To Cook Ravioli In The Instant Pot
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Made In The Instant Pot
- How To Cook Frozen Tamales In The Instant Pot
- Chicken Drumsticks In The Instant Pot
- How To Make Peach Lemonade In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Great Northern Beans
- 1 lb dried great northern beans rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt optional
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Put the great northern beans, water and salt into the Instant Pot. Then put the lid on and turn the valve to a sealing position. Now press the Pressure Cook button and set the time for 55 minutes on High Pressure.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release the steam and wait for the pin to drop. Then drain the beans using a colander and serve with your favorite meal or add to your favorite dish.
- Frozen Curly Fries In The Air Fryer
- Homemade Gluten-Free Apple Cake With Almond Flour
- Diced Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer