Packaged pasta sauce tastes pretty generic. If you want a restaurant quality tomato sauce for your pasta dish, make your own homemade tomato sauce from scratch – it’s just so much tastier than the tomato sauce from the can!
You can make your own tomato sauce using either fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes. When the fresh tomatoes are in season and they are cheap and plentiful, I use fresh, and when the fresh tomatoes are not in season or I simply don’t have them on hand, I use canned. Homemade tomato sauce beats the jarred tomato sauce no matter what kind of tomatoes you use! Homemade tomato sauce has this fresh “just made” taste and intense tomato, basic and garlic flavor. Dress your pasta with this homemade tomato sauce made from scratch, and a simple meal of pasta with tomato sauce will taste extraordinary!
Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe With Fresh Or Canned Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes (or 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried basil (you can also use oregano instead) or 1 bunch fresh
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Instructions How To Make Tomato Sauce
- If using fresh tomatoes, peel them (I peel with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, the same way as peeling an apple).
- If using canned tomatoes, take them out of the can and reserve the juice.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and their juice. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and basil. Stir, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the sauce is too chunky, you can process it in the food processor to desired consistency.
Enjoy this yummy homemade tomato sauce! For another great tomato sauce recipe you can make at home from scratch, see Pomi tomato sauce recipe.