This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This gorgeous sweet potato dish is really tasty and good for you! It is so full of color – you’ve got orange, green, red and brown, and it’s super nutritious, low fat and low carb. Healthy sweet potatoes are baked in the oven, then stuffed with roasted broccoli, dried cranberries and walnuts. Yum!
You can serve it as a generous side dish alongside a simple main dish like sliced turkey or chicken breast. You can also serve this stuffed sweet potato on its own, as a healthy vegetarian main dish – walnuts are full of protein and this huge stuffed sweet potato will make you full!
I got the idea for this recipe from the stuffed baked sweet potatoes sold in the Whole Foods deli case. It is so much cheaper to make these stuffed sweet potatoes yourself, especially if you are making more than one. And even those this dish looks so fancy, making it is pretty simple as the sweet potatoes and broccoli bake in the oven at the same time.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter to taste (optional)
- Maple syrup to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry them with a paper towel. Put the sweet potatoes on one of the baking sheets and pierce them with a fork.
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into florets. Put the broccoli on the 2nd baking sheet in a single layer.
- Put the sweet potatoes and broccoli in the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes.
- When the time beeps, take out the broccoli. Set the timer for 35 more minutes.
- Sprinkle the broccoli with salt and pepper to taste.
- After the timer beeps again, take out the sweet potatoes. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes with half and carefully scoop out the flesh with the fork (preserve the skin shell). Put the sweet potato pieces in a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon. Mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher. If desired, add some butter and maple syrup to taste. Carefully mix in broccoli, dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Put the mashed sweet potato mixture back into the sweet potato skin shells.
Enjoy these yummy stuffed sweet potatoes – they are really delicious! Also, check out my recipe for roasted sweet potatoes and stuffed sweet potatoes with cheese.