This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
If you are a big lover of crispy bread and ooey gooey cheese, then this air fryer grilled cheese sandwich recipe is perfect for you! All it takes is three ingredients and less than 10 minutes of your time!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese has always been one of my favorite snacks/meals ever since I was a kid. I just LOVE grilled cheese. I mean- what’s better than cheese and bread?
This method of cooking it in the air fryer is super convenient and such a quick and easy clean up too! Once you try making a grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer, you’ll never make it any other way!
What’s the best cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches?
When it comes to cheese, it DOES matter what type you get. You want to make sure the cheese is able to melt to really get that cheese pull. You don’t want to get a cheese that only melts at higher temperatures because it might cause your bread to burn before the cheese melts.
Here are the types of cheese I used to make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich:
- Monterey Jack
What the best bread to use when making grilled cheese?
When it comes to the bread, I personally think it comes down to preference. A lot of the time it just really depends on what I have on hand which, most of the time, is sandwich bread.
If I’m trying to make a fancy grilled cheese, I’ll usually go with sourdough or homemade challah bread for an added sweetness.
How To Make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches In The Air Fryer
Depending on what kind of bread you are using, use a bread knife to slice a couple of pieces of bread, making sure to cut them evenly.
Spread a bit of butter on 1 side of the bread slices.
Make a cheese sandwich by putting a cheese slice (or two) between the bread slices with the buttered side of the bread facing out (buttered side doesn’t touch the cheese).
Place the sandwich into the air fryer basket. Set the air frying temperature to 400 degrees and cook for about 5 minutes.
After 2 minutes, open the air fryer and make sure the top bread of the grilled cheese didn’t get moved. If it did, put it back on top of the grilled cheese. Put the basket back in the air fryer to finish cooking.
Once it’s done cooking, flip the grilled cheese using the spatula. Set the air fryer temperature to 400 degrees once more and cook for an extra 2 minutes to finish browning the other side of grilled cheese.
Remove the grilled cheese sandwich from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- Don’t add too many cheese slices as the cheese won’t melt if it’s overstuffed.
Make Different Kinds Of Grilled Cheese Recipes
Take your grilled cheese to the next level and try adding some extra ingredients to make really make a delicious grilled cheese!
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you loved this air ‘fried’ grilled cheese sandwich recipe, check out some of my other air fryer recipes!
Besides cheese sandwiches, I also love to make these other recipes in the air fryer:
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Crispy Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding In The Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Breaded Shrimp
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus In The Air Fryer
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Spread butter on 1 side of bread slices.
- Make a cheese sandwich by putting a cheese slice between the bread slices with the buttered side of the bread facing out (buttered side doesn't touch the cheese).
- Put the sandwich in the air fryer. Set the air frying temperature to 400F and time for 5 minutes.
- After 2 minutes open the air fryer and make sure the top bread of the grilled cheese didn't get moved. If it did, put it back on top of the grilled cheese. Put the basket back in the air fryer to finish cooking.
- Once it's done cooking, flip the grilled cheese using the spatula. Set the air fryer temperature to 400F and time to 2 minutes to finish browning the other side of grilled cheese.
- Remove grilled cheese from the air fryer and serve immediately.