This BBQ chicken grilled cheese is amazing! Crispy golden brown bread on the outside, gooey oozing cheese and dripping BBQ chicken on the inside – open your mouth wide and take it all in!
This BBQ chicken grilled cheese sandwich is the king of all grilled cheeses! This sloppy stuff gets devoured like there is no tomorrow!
Making this grilled cheese is super easy, it takes a total of 15 minutes if you have the cooked chicken on hand. It’s a perfect way to use up leftover chicken or a Rotisserie chicken. This barbecue chicken grilled cheese is a must for your weeknight recipe collection!
How To Make BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Mix shredded or finely chopped chicken with bottled BBQ sauce.
Warm it in a microwave so the BBQ chicken is hot!
Spread slices of bread with butter.
Put bread buttered side DOWN and add a slice of cheese
Yeah, I know that putting the bread buttered side down is counter-intuitive 🙂 The butter has to be on the outside of assembled grilled cheese sandwich so when it cooks, the buttered side touches the frying pan and gets this amazing golden-brown color!
Put barbecued chicken on top of cheese.
Top with another slice of cheese.
Top with another slice of bread (buttered side up).
Cook until golden brown!
Cook the grilled cheese on a pre-heated non-stick pan for 3 minutes on one side (or until golden brown), then carefully flip it and cook for 3 minutes on another side. Enjoy!
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- Spread ½ tbsp of butter on one side of each bread slice.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped chicken and BBQ sauce. Heat the barbecue chicken mixture in a microwave for 1 minute or until it's hot.
- Assemble a sandwich: put a bread slice of a plate buttered side DOWN, then put a slice of cheese on the bread, spread a quarter of the BBQ chicken mixture on top of cheese, top with the second slice of cheese, and top with another slice of bread (buttered side UP). Basically, the buttered sides have to be on the outside of the sandwich (the butter should come in contact with the frying pan). Repeat to assemble a total of 4 sandwiches.
- Spray the non-stick frying pan with a non-stick cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- Add the grilled cheese sandwiches to the frying pan (you can probably fit just 2 sandwiches at a time). Cook for 3 minutes on one side (or until that side is golden brown), then carefully flip the grilled cheese over and cook for 3 minutes on another side until golden brown.
- Served the grilled cheese immediately while it's hot and crispy!