This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Amazing fluffy baked potatoes made in your crockpot – just like magic! Open your slow cooker and take out tender delicious baked potatoes wrapped in foil!
Crockpot baked potatoes is the easiest way of making baked potatoes ever! All you need to do is rub the potatoes with oil, sprinkle with salt, wrap in foil and cook in slow cooker on High for 5 hours! When the timer beeps, just take out your amazing foil-wrapped baked potatoes – yum! These baked potatoes are tender, fluffy and so delicious!
Why use your slow cooker instead of the oven for making baked potatoes? There are several advantages to using crockpot:
- You can leave the house
If the potatoes are baking in the oven, you need to be home to supervise. With the potatoes baking in a slow cooker, you can safely leave the house!
- You can use the oven for something else
Use the oven for roasting chicken or baking cake while the potatoes are baking in the crockpot!
- Avoid oven heat in the summer
On a hot summer day the last thing I want to do is make my house even hotter by using the oven :) Crockpot will bake the potatoes for you without heating up your house!
Want to use the oven? I’ve got a recipe for that too! Check out oven baked potato recipe in foil.
Making baked potatoes in the crockpot is the easiest thing ever, just follow the step-by-step instructions below!
How To Make Crockpot Baked Potatoes
Wash and dry potatoes
Wash and scrub the potatoes, then dry them completely with paper towels. For best texture, the potatoes should be completely dry.
Rub potatoes with oil
Put each potato on a large piece of foil
Prickle each potato in several places with fork
This is done to allow steam to escape, so the potato doesn’t “explode”.
Sprinkle each potato with salt
Wrap each potato in foil completely
Put foil-wrapped potatoes in a slow cooker
Close the lid and set the crockpot on High for 5 hours
5 hours on High is the time needed for the perfectly cooked full crockpot of large foil-wrapped baking potatoes. If you are wondering if you can cook them on Low – yes, you can if you have to (8-9 hours on Low), but the High setting produces more consistent results.
Add toppings and serve!
When the potatoes are done cooking, unwrap them from foil, cut in half and add desired toppings. My favorite toppings for baked potatoes are butter, sour cream, chopped green onion, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Delicious!
Easy Crockpot Baked Potatoes
- 6 large baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- Toppings of choice butter, sour cream, chopped onion, bacon pieces, shredded cheese
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with paper towels, so they are completely dry.
- Put each potato on a large piece of foil. Rub each potato with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Prick each potato several times with the fork to allow steam to escape. Wrap the foil around each potato so the potato is completely enclosed in foil.
- Put the potatoes in the large slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove the potatoes promptly. Do not use "keep warm" function in the slow cooker as it will overcook the potatoes.
- To serve the potatoes, open the foil, cut potatoes in half and add desired toppings.