BITE into this amazing chocolate truffle cake. FIGHT over who gets the most truffles. COVER yourself with the chocolate crumbs. Just GIVE IN to this epic chocolate truffle cake, DEVOUR it like a pig. It’s so worth it.
This homemade chocolate truffle cake is a knockout. If you want to make a cake that will impress everybody, this is the cake to make. Chocolate lovers will rejoice biting into this chocolate truffle cake! This is the chocolate cake with the chocolate ganache cream and the chocolate truffles on top – all homemade, including the truffles.
Every time I make this homemade chocolate truffle cake, it is the king of the dessert table. People absolutely rave about this cake! This chocolate truffle cake is better than most chocolate cakes in the fine restaurants.
As you can see from most of the recipes on this site, I’m a big fan of easy and quick recipes. However, I do make an exception for this chocolate truffle cake! Even a lazy cook like me takes the time to make this gorgeous cake because the result is so worth it. When you taste this homemade chocolate truffle cake, I guarantee you’ll say that you’ve never tasted any homemade dessert as good as this one.
How To Make Chocolate Truffle Cake
The key to making this amazing chocolate truffle cake is breaking the whole process down into logical steps:
- Prepare the chocolate cream mixture
- Prepare the truffle mixture
- Bake the cake
- Cut the cake into layers
- Whip the chocolate cream
- Assemble the cake and frost each layer with chocolate cream
- Make chocolate crumbs in food processor and put them on the cake
- Make the truffles and put them on top of cake
Even though there are many steps, all of them are pretty straight-forward. I always make the chocolate cream mixture and the truffle mixture the day before. The chocolate cream mixture goes into the refrigerator, and the chocolate truffle mixture goes into the freezer. Then the next day I just bake the cake, and while the cake is baking I whip the chocolate cream and make chocolate crumbs and truffles. Once you get the process down, making the chocolate truffle cake is a breeze!
This chocolate truffle cake tastes even better the next day, so I recommend making it the day before the party and keeping it covered in a refrigerator. It allows the cream to fully penetrate the cake, making the texture even more amazing. Enjoy!
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1½ sticks (12 tbsp) butter, at room temperature
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 10 oz dark chocolate
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 10 oz dark chocolate
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- Break the 10 oz of chocolate into pieces. Put the chocolate and 4 cups of heavy cream in the pot. Heat until the cream starts to simmer. Don't let it boil - take it off the heat. Stir the chocolate so the cream and chocolate are blended together. Let cool, then put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Break the 10 oz of chocolate into pieces. Put the chocolate and ⅔ cup of the heavy cream in a saucepan. Heat until the cream starts to simmer. Take it off the heat before it starts to boil. Stir it really well so the chocolate and cream are blended together. Let cool, then put in a freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put in a bowl. Add cocoa and espresso powder to the chocolate. Pour boiling water over cocoa and chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes, then mix until the chocolate melts and everything is combined.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar together. Add eggs and mix. Add the chocolate and cocoa mixture and mix. Add flour, baking soda, salt and sour cream, then mix until everything is combined and smooth.
- Spray 2 non-stick 9-inch round pans with non-stick spray. Pour the batter into 2 pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cakes out of the pans. Slice each cake into 2 layers.
- You should now have 4 layers to make one tall cake - the layers will go on top of each other with chocolate cream in between layers.
- Take the chocolate cream mixture out of the refrigerator, and pour it in a large bowl. Whip with a mixer on a highest speed for 5 minutes, or until it's thick and has a consistency of a whipped cream.
- Divide the chocolate cream into 5 parts: 1 part for each of the 4 layers, and the 5th part for the sides of the cake.
- Put the first layer of the cake on a plate that you'll use for serving the cake. Spread 1 part of the cream on this layer. Put the second layer on top. Spread another 1 part of the cream. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th layer. Smear the remaining 1 part of the cream on the sides of the cake, using your hand.
- Put 4 oz chocolate into the food processor, and process until it turns into chocolate crumbs. Sprinkle the chocolate crumbs on top and sides of the cake
- Take the truffle mixture that you made the day before out of the freezer. With the spoon, take out pieces of the mixture. Roll them in your hands and make into balls.
- Put the truffles on top of the cake.
- Store the chocolate truffle cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.