This mouthwatering flourless chocolate cake is simply amazing! It’s rich, it’s smooth, and it deliciously fills your mouth with intense chocolate flavor! If you love chocolate, you must make this cake! An added bonus is that this cake doesn’t contain any flour or gluten, so it’s perfect for those following a gluten-free diet, as well as for a Passover menu!
I love chocolate, especially dark! I can eat so much of it, it’s not even funny 🙂 If you love chocolate as much as I do, and never get tired of chocolate, you owe it to yourself to make this recipe.
This flourless chocolate cake has the most concentrated chocolate flavor you will ever find in a cake. The cake itself is made of chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs and even more chocolate in the form of cocoa! But that’s not all – the icing on the cake is the smoothest richest chocolate ganache glaze ever! Chocolate lovers rejoice – this cake is a true heaven for all chocoholics!
An unexpected bonus of the flourless chocolate cake is the fact that it’s gluten-free. This was not intentional – this is definitely not a “diet” cake, so it was never taylored to fit any particular diet 😉 This cake is gluten-free because that’s how it was meant to be made – without the flour, as the flour would ruin the richness of this cake and make it too crumbly and too fluffy. We don’t want the fluff – all we want is the smooth and rich chocolate in every bite, so bye bye flour!
If you are celebrating Passover, this cake is a MUST on your Passover menu! No white flour and no leavening – this flourless chocolate cake is good for Passover and would make a WOW Passover dessert!
Another thing that I absolutely love about this cake is how easy is it to make. Until I discovered this recipe, I searched long and hard for a flourless chocolate cake that doesn’t required a double-boiler. Most recipes for the flourless chocolate cake require those ridiculous concoctions of a pan with water and a cake pan that fits inside it. Come’on – I’m not a fancy pastry chef, I just want a normal recipe that works 🙂 And THIS flourless chocolate cake, my friends, is IT!
Making this flourless chocolate cake is incredibly easy. You just melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave, then mix with other ingredients in a bowl, put in a baking dish and bake! The glaze is made in a pot by heating up the cream and milk and mixing until combined. Spread the glaze on a cake and you are done! The glaze is also perfect for hiding imperfections on a cake surface such as cracks – the glaze makes it look perfectly smooth no matter how the cake looked when it first came out of the oven 🙂
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare an 8-inch non-stick round cake pan.
- IMPORTANT: cut a circle out of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the cake pan, and put inside the pan. Do not skip this step, or the cake will stick.
- Spray the inside of the cake pan with a non-stick cooking spray (including the parchment paper and the sides of the pan).
- Put the butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 1 minute. Stir. Continue heating and stirring in 30-second increments until the butter and chocolate are melted and combined.
- Put the chocolate and butter mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and espresso powder (if using). Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Run the knife around the edges of the cake to separate it from the pan. Put a large plate upside down on top of the cake pan, then quickly invert the cake onto a plate.
- Peel off and discard the parchment paper. Don't worry if the cake has cracks or the edges crumble - the chocolate glaze will hide all the imperfections.
- Put the heavy cream and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a small pot. Heat it over medium heat, stirring every minute, until the cream is hot and the chocolate chips are melted. (Do not allow the cream to boil, reduce heat if necessary). Stir the cream and chocolate until it's well combined and smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Let the glaze cool for 30 minutes at room temperature, then refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour to set the glaze.