OMG these lemon crinkle cookies are surely addictive! Bursting with lemon flavor, dusted with powdered sugar with cracks on the surface to reveal the buttery lemon inside! You need these amazing lemon cookies in your life!
I have a weakness for all baked things with lemon. I just want to sit there and smell it and drool. There is something magical about the sweet and sour. The citrus smell and taste. The lemon combined with the smell of freshly baked cookies. Dusting off the powdered sugar sprinkle and licking my finger. Biting into this crinkle cookie to get to the lemon core. I need these cookies right now and so do you. Lemon crack cookies, here we come.
So how do these cookies get the crackled texture on top? No, you don’t have to carve out those crinkles and cracks with a knife 😉 The cookies bake into a cracked perfection (haha, did I just say that?) just like magic! That’s the first time in my life that I had to use the words “cracked” and “perfect” in the same sentence!
Seriously, to make the cracks the cookie dough is first rolled into balls, then the balls are rolled in a powdered sugar, then baked in the oven. While they are baking, the dough naturally spreads and expands, resulting in the breaks of the powdered-sugar-coated surface, making those crinkles on the top!
How To Make Lemon Crinkles Cookies
Making the lemon crack cookies is very easy and simple. You just mix the ingredients in one bowl, and no chilling of the dough needed!
- Mix the sugar and butter
- Add eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and mix.
- Roll dough into balls and dip in powdered sugar.
- Bake in pre-heated 350F oven for 13 minutes.
Some tips and tricks: if you want the lemon cookies to be really yellow like on the picture, add yellow food coloring. Without the food coloring, they’ll be only slightly yellow. The taste won’t change though! Another thing is that these cookies spread as they bake, so make sure you don’t crowd them on a baking sheet. Leave 3 inches between them to make sure they won’t merge into a giant cookie 🙂
That’s it! The lemon crinkle cookies are all yours!
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest and yellow food coloring (if using) and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
- Put powdered sugar on a large plate.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough from the bowl and roll with your hands into a ball. Dip into powdered sugar and roll so the ball is coated with powdered sugar on all sides. Put the dough ball on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough (make sure there is at least 3 inches between the balls as the cookies will spread).
- Bake the lemon crinkle cookies for 13 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool completely.