These chocolate crinkles cookies are so addictive, no wonder they call them “CRACK”! :-P
These chocolate crinkle cookies are truly amazing! Chewy and chocolaty on the inside, dusted with powdered sugar on the outside, with picture perfect crinkles throughout! When you bite into them, you are fully immersed in the chocolate chewyness! Get on the sugar high with these chocolate crack cookies, lick off the white powder and snatch off the whole plate of these addictive little things. You’ll become obsessed!
Added bonus to these chocolate crinkles – they are gluten-free! Naturally gluten-free, meaning they are supposed to be like that! With the majority of gluten-free recipes, the gluten-free version is just a scaled-down compromise of the real (better) thing… not with these incredible cookies! These chocolate crack cookies simply don’t need flour – in fact, adding flour would take away from their unbelievable deep chocolate flavor and chewy rich texture! If you are looking for more gluten-free chocolate desserts, you must also check out my gluten-free flourless chocolate cake – that cake is the best flourless chocolate cake you will ever have!
Not only do these chocolate crinkle cookies taste amazing, they also look super impressive! Yes, they really get this picture-perfect crinkle top every time! Just like my lemon crinkle cookies, the technique to get the crinkle top is this: roll the cookie dough into balls, then roll the balls in powdered sugar. As the cookies bake, they expand and the powdered sugar coating cracks, making a crinkle top! The contrast of dark brown cookie color and the pure white powdered sugar is stunning! And they taste just as good as they look ;)
- 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 2½ cups powdered sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstrach
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put 1 cup of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave for another minute, or until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put egg whites in a large bowl and whisk with electic mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup of powdered sugar while continuing to mix, then mix for another 3 minutes.
- Add 1 more cup of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt to the egg mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add melted chocolate and the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips and stir it in with a spoon until uncorporated.
- Put the remaining ½ cup of powdered sugar on a plate. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the dough and roll into a ball. Roll the dough ball in powdered sugar so it's fully coated with powdered sugar. Put the rolled ball on a parchment-paper-covered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing the balls on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Take the chocolate crinkle cookies out of the oven and let them cool on a baking sheet.