Do you like the green tea ice cream that you get at the Japanese restaurant after getting your sushi fix? Now you can replicate this unique ice cream at home! Best of all, you don’t need an ice cream machine or any other special equipment – this green tea ice cream recipe is created for a home cook!
I love the taste of green tea ice cream – it just tastes so unique and so refreshing! Regular ice cream flavors like chocolate and vanilla are so boring and predictable. Green tea ice cream is an excitement to my taste buds! What’s even more exciting is the fact that now I can make it at home, without an ice cream machine! You no longer need to go to a Japanese restaurant to get your green tea ice cream – just make it yourself using this amazingly easy recipe!
Homemade ice cream without an ice cream machine? Absolutely! I own many kitchen gadgets, but ice cream machine is not one of them – I just don’t make ice cream often enough to justify another space-wasting device :) This recipe makes amazingly smooth green tea ice cream just by using your freezer!
Another thing about this green tea ice cream recipe that I’m thrilled about is the fact that it doesn’t use raw eggs! Most regular ice cream recipes include raw egg yolks, but eating raw eggs just grosses me out. And I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater – I eat a wide variety of foods, no matter how exotic – but raw eggs? No thanks :) If you are in the same camp as me regarding raw eggs, check out my homemade Caesar salad dressing without raw eggs – you’ll love it!
Green tea ice cream uses just 4 ingredients – Matcha green tea powder, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk and water. If you don’t count water, you can call it a 3-ingredient recipe – that’s more catchy than a 4-ingredient recipe :) But seriously, we do need the water to turn the green tea powder into super-concentrated green tea.
Matcha green tea powder is literally a powdered tea. Don’t use the green tea from the tea bag – it won’t be good, as it’s not ground finely enough (nobody wants to taste crumbs of tea in the ice cream!) You need the actual Matcha green tea powder, which can be found in Whole Foods, nutrition stores, Asian markets, many big supermarkets and on Amazon. Matcha powder is super healthy, so these days it’s actually really popular! If you never tried Matcha, this easy yummy ice cream is the perfect recipe to introduce you to this new ingredient.
- 1½ tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold from refrigerator
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk, cold from refrigerator
- Put water in a microwave-safe cup. Microwave for 20 seconds, or until hot.
- Put the matcha green tea powder in another cup, then pour hot water over it and stir. Let it cool.
- Put the heavy cream in a large bowl and whip with a mixer on High until stiff (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the green tea mixture and the sweetened condensed milk to the whipped cream. Mix carefully with a spoon until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a freezer-safe container and cover with foil or plastic wrap.
- Put the green tea ice cream in a freezer overnight (or for at least 6 hours).