This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Classic gingerbread cookies recipe requires an unusual ingredient: molasses. If you don’t have molasses on hand and don’t feel like going to a grocery store looking for it, don’t worry – you can still make yummy gingerbread cookies without molasses!
This gingerbread cookies recipe is very easy, uses common ingredients and doesn’t require molasses. When these gingerbread cookies are baking, the whole house smells so delicious! What could smell better than freshly baked cookies with these yummy sweet spices of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg!
You can use different cookie cutter shapes to cut out flowers, stars and hearts, and gingerbread man shapes to make gingerbread men cookies :) If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can still make these delicious gingerbread cookies – just cut them out using the rim of the glass to make circles. See – you don’t need molasses and don’t even need cookie cutters – anyone can make these easy gingerbread cookies that use common ingredients from the pantry!
Once these gingerbread cookies are baked, you can ice them with the icing of your choice. You can decorate the gingerbread men by putting the icing into the squeeze bottle, so you have precise control where the icing goes. Use different color icing for festive colorful gingerbread men!
Another option is to have the gingerbread cookies without the icing. If I just want a great gingerbread cookie taste without the fancy presentation and hassle with the icing, what I do instead of the icing is sprinkle them with white sugar. White sugar on brown gingerbread cookies looks and tastes so good! My picture shows the gingerbread cookies without icing – I was just keeping it simple :)
Here’s the picture of these gingerbread cookies on a baking sheet, right out the oven:
Easy Gingerbread Cookies Recipe Without Molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups butter 3 sticks at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Icing optional
- In a bowl, mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until well combined. Mix in the honey, egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and mix until combined.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle and wrap it in a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight (or up to a week).
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it's 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out the gingerbread cookies using the cookie cutters.
- Put the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the gingerbread cookies from the oven and sprinkle with white sugar or decorate with icing of your choice.
Enjoy these yummy and easy gingerbread cookies without molasses :) For other easy cookie recipes, check out how to make simple butter cookies, how to make chocolate chip cookies and double chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips.