These delicious Hanukkah cookies will be the highlight of every Hanukkah party! So buttery and tender, these colorful Hanukkah shapes cookies disappear in seconds!
Who says cookie baking is just for Christmas? You can make amazing cookies for Hanukkah too simply by using the Hanukkah-related cookie shapes and colors! The colors of Hanukkah holiday are white and blue, so for this easy cookie recipe we’ll color half of the dough blue by adding a blue food coloring (leaving the other half of the dough natural).
The cookies made with blue dough will get sprinkled with the white sprinkles (or just regular white sugar) and the regular color cookies will get the blue sprinkles for contrast!
For the cutout shapes, just search for “Hanukkah cookie cutters” on Amazon – they only cost a few bucks! These Hanukkah cookie cutters have shapes of Jewish star, dreidel and menorah!
This Hanukkah sugar cookie recipe is as easy as it gets – you don’t even need to chill the dough! Just mix all ingredients, roll out the dough, cut shapes with cookie cutters and bake! It’s also a perfect Hanukkah holiday project for kids, so fun!
Here is the raw cookie dough just cut into shapes:
Here is the raw cookie dough sprinkled with colored sugar:
Here are the Hanukkah cookies after baking:
Enjoy these amazing homemade Hanukkah cutout sugar cookies!
Here are some more Hanukkah recipes you’ll love:
Easy Hanukkah Latkes Recipe (these potato pancakes are the crispiest and yummiest ever!)
Homemade Gefilte Fish From Scratch (after you try this one, you’ll never want to eat gefilte fish from the can!)
Homemade Matzo Ball Soup (so simple, truly foolproof!)
Homemade Jewish Challah Bread (so soft and delicious, amazing!)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp blue food coloring
- Blue and white sugar sprinkles, for decorating
- To make these cookies, you need Hanukkah cookie cutters (you can buy them on Amazon).
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add 1½ cup flour, baking powder and salt, and mix until combined. Add the remaining flour, and mix until combined.
- Divide dough into two equal parts. Add one part to the food processor fitted with a steel blade and add blue food coloring to it. Process for 1 minute, or until the dough is evenly colored blue.
- Roll each dough ball (white and blue) into a 12 inch circle. Cut out the cookies with a Hanukkah cookie cutters and put them on the baking sheet, spacing the cookies at least 1 inch. Combine the dough scraps back into a ball, roll it out again, cut out more cookies and repeat until all the dough is used.
- Sprinkle the light cookie dough with the blue sugar sprinkles, and the blue cookie dough with white sugar.
- Put the Chanukkah cookies in the oven and bake for 7 minutes.