This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
These homemade potato pancakes are so crispy and delicious! These authentic Jewish potato pancakes a.k.a. latkes are simply epic!
Potato pancakes is a classic Jewish recipe, and the Jewish potato pancakes are called “latkes”. Latkes are traditionally made for the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah – the Festival of Lights – that happens in December. They are also often made for other Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) and Purim (along with Hamantaschen cookies). Of course, you don’t need any holiday or special occasion to enjoy these delicious potato pancakes. Make latkes year round for a NON-STOP YUM!
Potato pancakes can be served as a side dish or as a main dish – they are really versatile! Serve them for dinner, serve them for brunch and serve them for breakfast! Potato pancakes really go great with everything – with the meat, chicken and fish, with salads, or just enjoy them on their own!
These homemade potato pancakes use the most common ingredients ever – potatoes, onions, eggs, flour, salt, pepper and oil. Chances are you already have everything you need in your pantry! If so, you now know what to do! If you have all the stuff today, you owe it to yourself to turn these basic pantry items into the crispiest most amazing potato pancakes ever! Everyone will devour them!
Making homemade latkes is pretty straight forward – shredded potatoes and grated onions are mixed with an egg and a little flour and pan-fried until brown and crispy. Egg and flour eggs as a binder to keep the potato pancakes from falling apart. Making latkes is really easy if you have a food processor. Food processor allows you to shred the potatoes and grate the onion in seconds!
The secrets for crispy latkes is to squeeze out as much liquid out of the potatoes as you can. The less liquid in the potatoes, the crispier are the potato pancakes! Also, make sure you preheat the frying pan enough so it’s hot before frying the latkes. If you follow these instructions, you’ll make the tastiest latkes ever!
Potato pancakes taste best when served immediately – when reheated, they lose their crunch. Serve the potato pancakes with apple sauce – apple sauce and latkes are a classic combination, they’ll go perfectly together! Another great accompaniment to potato pancakes is sour cream – latkes topped with sour cream are amazing!
Potato Pancakes Latkes Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp oil
- Shred the potatoes using the food processor (shredder disk).
- Put shredded potatoes in the colander in the sink, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Wait for 5 minutes, then squeeze out even more liquid.
- Grate the onion using the inside steel blade of the food processor.
- Mix potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat (I use 2 frying pans on 2 burners to save time or a large griddle).
- Form the potato mixture into patties (squeeze out even more excess liquid as you go) and put on a frying pan.
- Cook the potato pancakes for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes (or until golden-brown on both sides and cooked through). Check the potato pancakes from time to time and adjust the heat setting - if they are starting to turn too dark, the heat is too high, and if they are pale, it's too low.
- Remove the latkes from the frying pan and serve immediately.