You don’t have to go to a restaurant to be served a molten chocolate lava cake! With this easy recipe, you can make chocolate lava cakes at home in a simple muffin tin!
Yummy yummy in my tummy! I love all things chocolate, especially dark chocolate! I even make banana bread with chocolate :) Gimme dark chocolate any time of the day, just thinking of it is making me drool! If you are a true chocolate lover who just wants to smell chocolate, taste chocolate and be swimming in chocolate, you need these molten chocolate lava cakes in your life right now! Plus the Mexican hot chocolate :)
OMG this stuff is truly amazing! Gooey warm melted chocolate flowing out of the fudgy chocolate warm little bitty cake – straight into your mouth! Taste the chocolateness all over your lips and all over your tongue! This is serious chocolate joy my friend. How many of these molten chocolate lava cakes are you going to eat?
If a restaurant has a chocolate lava cake on their menu, you bet I’m going to order it for dessert! For a longest time, I thought of the lava cake as a purely restaurant dessert that I wouldn’t even think of attempting at home. Little did I know how easy it is to make it yourself! Homemade molten chocolate lava cakes are so easy to make, it’s actually one of the easiest desserts ever – who would have ever thought?
This recipe makes 12 individual size molten chocolate lava cakes using a muffin tin. Yes, a simple muffin tin is a perfect baking tool for these yummy gooey little cakes! The ingredients are very simple too: chocolate chips, butter, flour, powdered sugar, salt and eggs. You don’t even need to own a mixer, as the batter mixes easily with a spoon!
Simple chocolate batter is poured into muffin cups and baked at a high temperature of 425F for just 9 minutes. Do not overcook the lava cakes or they’ll turn into chocolate muffins :) We want the gooey chocolate on the inside, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!
Serve the chocolate lava cakes immediately while they are still hot. If you need to store them for later, keep them in refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave until hot. Enjoy!
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Thoroughly spray a non-stick muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with butter.
- Put butter and the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 seconds, until the chocolate chips and butter are fully melted and the mixture in smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolk in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour, salt, powdered sugar and melted chocolate and butter. Mix everything until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- Put the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 9 minutes. Do not overcook, since you want the chocolate inside to be liquid.
- Take the chocolate lava cakes out of the oven. Let stand for 3 minutes.
- Put a large cutting board over the muffin tin and quickly invert it so the muffin tin is upside down. Bang the muffin cups with your fist to help release the molten lava cakes. Slowly lift the muffin tin, releasing the lava cakes onto the cutting board.
- Transfer the chocolate lava cakes to the individual plates and serve immediately.