This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This made-from-scratch apple pie is the king of all apple pies! Sweet apples with a perfect texture and a hint of cinnamon nested between the flaky tender crust dough – this is the best apple pie recipe ever!
This made-from-scratch apple pie is simply out of this world! I’ve never tasted an apple pie better than this one, not even in the best restaurants. Once you try this apple pie recipe, you’ll never use another apple pie recipe ever again!
What makes this apple pie so great is the amazing texture of both the apple filling and the crust dough. The filling of this apple pie is prepared using an unconventional cooking method that makes it so great. The apples are first cooked in melted butter, sugar and cinnamon and also tossed with a freshly squeezed lemon juice for a fresh new flavor dimension! You’ll have to stop yourself from not eating the filling before baking the pie :)
Have you ever eaten a mushy soggy apple pie? The released juice from the apples is the culprit! This cooking method is genius in avoiding the mush, here’s how: pre-cooking the apples in the pan releases their juice, and we fish out the apples with the slotted spoon so the juice is NOT added to the pie filling! The apples in the filling are shining with flavor and a perfect texture – and that’s exactly what you want in a best ever apple pie!
The dough for this apple pie is really simple and made in a food processor – just process butter, flour, baking powder, salt and water in a food processor for a minute or two until it turns into dough! All natural ingredients and no chemicals, no preservatives and no trans fats – no wonder it tastes so good!
How To Make Apple Pie Step By Step
Step 1: Make Dough For Apple Pie Crust
Apple pie dough from scratch is very easy to make! In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, butter and water and process until it turns into dough. Shape the dough into 2 disks (for top crust and bottom crust) and refrigerate.
Step 2: Make The Apple Pie Filling
Toss the apple slices with lemon juice. Cook the apple slices with butter, sugar and cinnamon for 5 minutes.
The apples will release their juice into the frying pan. Lift out the apples into the bowl with a slotted spoon and discard the released juices. Toss the apples with cornstarch.
Step 3: Assemble The Apple Pie
First, roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle. Before rolling, add some flour to your rolling surface and the rolling pin, so the dough doesn’t stick to it.
Line a greased pie dish with the rolled out bottom crust. Prick the dough in several places with a fork.
Add the apple pie filling to the pie.
Roll out the 2nd dough disk into the top crust and cover the apple pie.
Pinch the edges of the top and bottom crust together to seal the pie.
Brust the top of the apple pie with a whisked egg.
Cut the slits in the top crust of the apple pie. They will allow steam to escape when the apple pie is baking.
Step 4: Bake The Apple Pie
Bake the apple pie in pre-heated 375F oven for 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 min before slicing and serving.
Best Apple Pie Recipe Ever!
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
Make the pie crust dough
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into cubes.
- Put butter, flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade, and process for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/3 cup cold water to the food processor and process for 1 minute, or until the mixture turns into dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Make the apple filling
- Add the lemon juice to apple slices and toss to evenly distribute.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the apple slices, sugar and cinnamon, and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, lift the apples from the pan and move the to the bowl, leaving the released liquid in a frying pan. Discard the liquid.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cornstarch and toss to combine.
Assemble the apple pie
- Use 1 tbsp of butter to butter the 10-inch non-stick round pie dish.
- Lightly flour a pastry board and a rolling pin.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll out the first dough disk to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully lift the dough and transfer it to the baking dish, so the dough lines up the bottom and sides of the dish. Pierce the dough on the bottom in several places with a fork.
- Put the apple filling in the apple pie on top of the dough.
- Roll out the second dough disk to 11 inches in diameter.
- Carefully lift the dough and put it on top of the apple pie.
- Pinch the edges of the pie all around the pie to seal.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl to make the egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash using a pastry brush.
- With a sharp knife, make several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 375F oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.