This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This double chocolate banana bread is out of this world! Dark chocolate banana bread with chocolate chips inside – it doesn’t get any better than that!
OMG this stuff is so good! Taste the rich sweet banana flavor together with the deep dark chocolate, and feel the melted chocolate chips on your tongue! This is the ultimate banana bread that will satisfy the banana lovers and the chocolate lovers in your life! Yes, it’s double chocolate – the banana bread itself is chocolate, plus the chocolate chips inside for double the yum! If you love double chocolate goodies as much as I do, check out these best ever double chocolate chip cookies – they are amazing!
This delicious double chocolate banana bread uses up a whopping 3 overripe bananas! If you are hiding the bananas from your family just so you can make this delicious recipe, your secret is safe with me :) And if you just have only 1 overripe banana on hand, I have another recipe you’ll love: one banana banana bread!
How To Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Making this amazing chocolate banana bread is as easy as it gets. It’s a one-bowl recipe, where everything gets dumped in one bowl and mixed. First mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl and add the liquid ingredients: oil, eggs and vanilla. Next, add the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda – and mix. Finally, add the chocolate chips and mix. Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top and bake in pre-heated 350F over for 50 minutes. That’s it! Anyone can make this chocolate banana bread, it’s a perfect recipe for beginning bakers! If you like chocolate banana bread, also check out my other chocolate chip banana bread recipe – that one has white batter with the brown chocolate chips throughout!
This double chocolate banana bread also freezes really well, making a perfect make-ahead breakfast. You can slice it then put each slice into individual ziploc bag and freeze. To defrost, leave the ziploc bag on the counter overnight, and in the morning you will have a delicious slice of chocolate banana bread waiting for you for breakfast!
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 overripe bananas
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5 inch non-stick loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Transfer the batter into a loaf pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Put the chocolate banana bread loaf pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.