These yummy pita pockets are stuffed with turkey sausage, bell peppers, onions, lettuce and feta cheese. For this recipe I use the low-fat turkey sausage, which is much healthier than regular sausage and is still really flavorful!
The best part is that this recipe is very easy to make – it takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish! Easy, quick, healthy and tasty – and that’s everything you can possibly want in a great recipe!
Stuffed Pita Pockets Recipe With Turkey Sausage, Peppers And Feta Cheese
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 4
- 1 lb lean turkey sausage
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 onions
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup lettuce leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or Italian herbs seasoning)
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pita pockets
Instructions How To Make Stuffed Pita Pockets
- Peel the onions, then chop the onions into pieces.
- Cut the turkey sausage into pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey sausage and chopped onions to the frying pan. Cook, stirring periodically, for 7 minutes.
- While the turkey and onions are cooking, cut the bell peppers in half and scoop out the core and seeds with a spoon. Discard the seeds and stem. Cut the bell peppers into small slices.
- Add the bell peppers to the sausage and onions. Cook, stirring periodically, for 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with dried oregano and mix it. If necessary, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the pita pockets in a microwave (2 at a time) for 30 seconds.
- Cut the pita pockets in half and put on a serving plate.
- In each pita pocket half, put a couple of lettuce leaves on the bottom, then 1/8 of the turkey sausage mixture and a sprinkle of the feta cheese on top.
If you are planning to serve the pita pockets later, just refrigerate the cooked turkey sausage, onion and pepper mixture separately, and then reheat it before stuffing the pita pockets.
Here’s the picture of the sausage, onions and peppers cooking in a frying pan – yum!
This recipe is so easy and so yummy, you’ve got to make it tonight :)
If you have too many pitas in a package, you can make your own pita chips in a microwave – see my pita chips recipe. Want to make pita from scratch? Check out homemade pita dough recipe for bread machine.