Baked sausage with peppers and onions is a wonderful comfort food. I often make sausage and peppers for a party since everybody loves it!
Best of all, making baked sausage and peppers is extremely easy. Just put the sliced peppers and whole sausages in a baking dish and bake in the oven for an hour. The oven will do all the cooking for you – no extra steps needed.
Another great thing about sausage and peppers is that this dish reheats very well. You can make it in advance and just reheat it in a microwave before serving. Even two days later, baked sausage with peppers tastes as good as if it was just made!
For stress-free entertaining, you can keep reheat the sausage and peppers before the party, and then keep it in a crockpot on “Keep Warm” setting so it stays hot when your guests are ready to eat it!
If you are concerned about calories in Italian sausage, you can always use a low fat version of Italian sausage (like turkey Italian sausage) or any other kind of sausages. No matter what kind of sausage you use, it will still be delicious!
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the peppers in half. Cut out the green stem and scoop out the seeds. Slice the pepper into strips.
- Peel the onion and cut into slices.
- Spray a glass 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray (or you can also grease it with a piece of butter)
- Put the onion slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Put the bell pepper strips on top of the onion slices.
- Put the Italian sausage on top of the peppers.
- Put the baking dish in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Enjoy this yummy baked Italian sausage with peppers and onions! For more recipes with sausage, check out recipe for stuffed pita with sausage, sausage jambalaya recipe and recipe for grilled sausage kabobs!