This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This yummy spicy chicken stir fry with onions and peppers is very easy to make and is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Boneless skinless chicken breast pieces are stir-fried in a pan with with red onion and bell pepper slices, and sprinkled with salt, pepper and seasonings that give it a delicious heat!
This spicy chicken stir fry is low in fat, high in protein and high in flavor! Spicy chicken stir fry is perfect served over rice or alongside potatoes, or simply add more vegetables to it and have it stand alone as a complete low-carb entree!
My favorite onion to use for this chicken stir fry recipe is the red onion. Red onions have this delicious sweetness to them that pairs perfectly with a savory spice! For the bell peppers, any color pepper will work. On the recipe photo above, I used a tri-color bell pepper mix of green, yellow and red. You can also be creative by adding other types of vegetables into the mix. Zucchini and mushrooms are some of the examples of what other vegetables would be a great addition to this stir fry.
This chicken recipe is using a homemade spice mix, made with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, red pepper and black pepper – what an explosion of flavor! No bottled spice concoctions can compare to the goodness of the spice rub that you mix yourself!
If you think the chicken breasts are bland, wait until you try this recipe! The spice mix turns the chicken breast into hot and fiery dish. If you are cautious of spicy food, cut the amount of red and black pepper in half when trying this recipe for the first time :) It’s always easy to make the chicken spicier later by sprinkling with more pepper then trying to cut the spice when it’s too late!
Spicy Chicken Stir Fry Recipe With Onions And Peppers
- Cut the chicken breasts in a 1 inch pieces.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, oregano, red pepper and black pepper. Toss the chicken and the spices with your hands until the chicken is evenly coated with the spices. Set the bowl with chicken aside on the counter while you prepare onion and peppers.
- Peel the onion and cut into slices.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, cut off and discard the stems, scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Cut the peppers into slices.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion slices, and cook, stirring periodically, for 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil to the frying pan, and mix until the chicken is combined with the onion and pepper slices.
- Cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink in center).