This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
A classic way to make steamed green beans is to use a steamer basket. The way you steam the green beans is this: put a pot of water fitted with a steamer basket to a boil, put the green beans in the steamer, and the steam from the boiling water will cook the green beans.
The trick to good tasting green beans is not to overcook them. The correct steaming time for green beans is 5 minutes. Many recipes for steamed green beans call for as long as 15 minutes, and when you cook them for that long, they’ll develop disgusting mushy texture!
When you steam green beans for just 5 minutes, they might seem undercooked to you, but it’s not the case. Remember, steamed vegetables continue cooking for several minutes after you remove them from the steamer – if they are hot, they are still cooking, so they will end up softer than you thought they’d be.
This steamed green beans recipe makes green beans with a perfect texture – tender, yet still crisp! Season them with salt and a little bit of oil or butter and enjoy!
Steamed Green Beans Recipe
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions How To Make Steamed Green Beans
- Put water in a pot fitted with a steamer basket. Bring water to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, wash and trim the green beans. To trim green beans, cut off the stringy ends on both sides. Or you can save yourself time by buying packaged green beans that are already trimmed :)
- Once the water boils, put the green beans in a steamer basket. Let it steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the green beans from the steamer and put in a bowl. Sprinkle the green beans with salt.
- Add olive oil or butter to the steamed green beans and toss with your hands.
These steamed green beans can be served either warm or cold. Believe it or not, they are extremely tasty even cold from the refrigerator!
Green beans are very healthy, so make them often as a healthy vegetable side dish. You can also add some minced garlic to them and Italian dressing to make delicious garlic green beans.
Also, check out the ultimate shortcut to steamed green beans – using the microwave! See my detailed instructions how to make steamed green beans in a microwave.