This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This homemade chocolate popcorn is so easy to make! All you need is 2 ingredients – popcorn and chocolate chips! This is so simple, you’ll never have to buy chocolate covered popcorn from the store again.
Chocolate covered popcorn is so addictive, you’ll want to eat the whole batch in one sitting! Delicious chocolate coating with crispy popcorn inside – you need this homemade chocolate popcorn in your life!
Homemade chocolate popcorn is the perfect snack for a movie or after dinner if you don’t want something too heavy. It is also fun for a party or sharing with friends and family! No matter what the occasion, you will love the flavor and texture in this popcorn recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Popcorn
Making this chocolate covered popcorn is so easy and fast! All you need is a bag of plain popcorn and 1 cup of chocolate chips. You will also need a large microwaveable bowl and a spoon for mixing.
Have your popcorn already popped so it is ready to go when the chocolate is melted.
First measure 1 cup of chocolate chips in a large microwaveable bowl. Place in microwave and set cook time for 2 minutes. After 30 seconds, check on the chocolate and stir it around with a spoon. Keep checking and stirring the chocolate every 30 seconds until completely melted.
When the chocolate is melted, pour the popped popcorn into the bowl and stir well to combine. When the chocolate is covering the popcorn thoroughly, place the bowl in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
Then remove from the freezer and use a spoon to break up the popcorn into bite size chunks for snacking.
Enjoy as an afternoon snack or treat after dinner!
- This snack can easily be made gluten-free and vegan for anyone with sensitivities or diet restrictions. Just make sure to use plain popcorn and vegan chocolate chips!
- To make this diabetes and keto-friendly, just buy chocolate chips that are made without any added sugar.
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can use a double boiler on the stovetop to melt the chocolate instead.
- If the chocolate starts to get melty after sitting out, you can always place it back in the freezer to firm up again.
More dessert recipes!
If you enjoyed this tasty dessert recipe, you might like some of these other desserts as well! These are great treats for sharing with family and friends but also very easy to make on a whim for yourself:
- Chocolate Chips Frosting
- Muffin Tin Lava Cakes
- Chocolate Puff Pastry Roll
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
- Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake
Homemade Chocolate Popcorn
- 1 Package popped popcorn (6 oz)
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Measure 1 cup of chocolate chips. Pour into microwave safe bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and set timer for 2 minutes.
- Check on the chocolate every 30 seconds, stirring well.
- When chocolate is melted, remove the bowl from microwave.
- Add popcorn to the bowl and stir well.
- Place the bowl in the freezer to firm the chocolate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and break up the popcorn with a spoon into chunks.
If you like popcorn as much as I do, check out my other amazing popcorn recipes: