This recipe is Russian, and the Russian name of it is “Macaroni Po-Flotski” which translates as “Pasta A-La-Sailor”. It is made with the items that are always around (pasta, ground meat and onion), so it’s one of those great “emergency meals” 🙂
The idea of this recipe is so simple, I’m surprised this meal is not too common! Ground beef and onions are cooked on a frying pan, then mixed with cooked pasta. This combo tastes really good – it’s a true comfort food!
The best type pasta for this recipe is tubular shape pasta such as ziti or rigatoni, and the pasta shells work well for this too. The reason for this is when pasta shapes have holes in them, some of the meat goes inside the pasta – delicious!
Once you try the pasta with ground meat and see how easy and yummy it is, you will surely add it to your dinner rotation!
- 1 lb pasta (tubular shapes work best)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil on a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden-brown. Add the ground meat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Process cooked ground meat and onion mixture in a food processor.
- Heat another 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add cooked pasta and cooked ground meat and onion mixture. Stir until the pasta is coated with oil and mixed with the ground meat.