This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This is an authentic Russian recipe for yummy salted salmon. To make salted salmon, the raw salmon is cured in a mixture of salt and sugar. The salt curing process continues for 4 days in the refrigerator, and after that the salted salmon is thinly sliced and eaten cold.
Salted salmon is usually served as an appetizer, and it also tastes great in sandwiches or as a main dish! Salted salmon tastes very similar to smoked salmon or lox, with a firmer texture. Making your own salted salmon saves you a lot of money – raw salmon is much cheaper than purchased smoked salmon. You can use homemade salted salmon in any recipes that use lox – for example, on top of bagels with cream cheese, in salmon and cream cheese sandwiches or in salmon and avocado wraps.
Making your own salted salmon is super easy. Just rub the raw salmon with salt and sugar, refrigerator for 4 days and you are done!
Russian Salted Salmon Recipe
Salted Salmon Ingredients
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
Instructions How To Make Salt Cured Salmon
- To make the salted salmon, you need a glass dish with a lid.
- If the salmon filet is thicker than 1/2 inch, cut it into 2 layers (so each layer is less than 1/2 inch thick).
- Put the salmon filet in the dish. Rub the salt and sugar into both sides of the salmon.
- Close the dish with the salmon and put in the refrigerator.
- Leave salted salmon in the refrigerator for 4 days. After 4 days, slice it into thin slices and serve.