This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Vinaigrette (or “Vinegret” in Russian) is the authentic Russian salad made out of boiled beets, potatoes, pickles, carrots, sauerkraut and green peas. It’s a very interesting salad and it’s really tasty. If you like unique recipes, you should give Vinegret a try!
All the vegetables in the Russian Vinegret salad are chopped and dressed with sunflower oil. If you don’t have sunflower oil, you can use any other kind of vegetable oil.
Recipe: Russian Beet Salad Vinaigrette
- 3 potatoes
- 2 beets
- 2 pickles
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup canned green peas, drained
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions How To Make Vinaigrette Salad
- Boil the beets for 1 hour, then drain and let cool.
- In a separate pot, boil the potatoes and carrots together for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. I usually boil the beets, potatoes and carrots the day ahead, then refrigerate the boiled veggies until I’m ready to make the Vinaigrette salad.
- Peel the boiled beets, potatoes and carrots with the vegetable peeler.
- Chop the beets, potatoes, carrots, pickles and onion. For this task, I always use the onion chopper gadget – when you have lots of vegetables to chop, it saves a lot of time and effort.
- Add the green peas and sauerkraut to chopped veggies. Add the sunflower oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix everything. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
For another authentic Russian salad recipe, check out Russian salad Olivier.