This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Tabouleh salad (also spelled tabbouleh or taboulli) is a very tasty and healthy Lebanese recipe. Authentic tabouleh recipe is made with parsley, mint, bulgur, tomatoes and onion, and seasoned with the dressing of oil and lemon juice.
Tabouleh is a classic dish that you’ll find in most Middle Eastern restaurants. The herbs make taboulli salad so refreshing – this salad is really yummy, healthy and addictive, you’ll just want to be eating more and more!
A great thing about tabouleh is that it can be made ahead. Unlike most green salads that have to be served and eaten immediately, taboulli stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Tabbouleh stays tasty for days because it doesn’t have big lettuce leaves that wilt – all tabouleh ingredients are very finely chopped into tiny pieces.
All the ingredients in tabouleh are very common except bulgur. Bulgur is a grain – it is, in fact, cracket wheat. Bulgur is found in the “grains” section of most supermarkets, and it’s very easy to cook – just soak it in hot water.
If you like tabouleh, you don’t need to limit yourself to eating it at restaurant – you can make tabbouleh salad yourself quickly and easily! Just follow this easy recipe to learn how to make taboulli.
Tabouleh Salad Recipe
- 2 bunches of parsley
- 1/2 bunch mint (optional)
- 6 green onions or 1/2 of small regular onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Instructions How To Make Tabouleh
- Heat the water in the small pot until boiling. When the water boils, add bulgur, remove from heat and cover with the lid. Leave the bulgur in the pot for 30 minutes.
- While the bulgur is soaking in hot water, finely chop the parsley, mint and green onions. I just pulse them in the food processor until they are very finely chopped.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces (similar to chopping tomatoes for the salsa).
- Mix the bulgur, parsley, mint, onion, tomatoes, salt, pepper, lemon juice and oil. Refrigerate tabouleh salad for 1 hour to blend flavors.
Enjoy this yummy, healthy and refreshing tabouleh salad! If you like taboulli, you might also be interested in my other Middle Eastern recipes: how to make baba ganoush, Persian dill rice, best homemade hummus and stuffed grape leaves recipe.