This Instant Pot delicata squash is amazing! So naturally sweet, this is the tastiest squash ever! Instant Pot cooks it perfectly!
I love delicata squash, this is my favorite squash! As much as I love roasting delicata squash in the oven, Instant Pot always comes to the rescue when I’m pressed for time! Baking delicata squash halves in the oven takes 40 minutes, while cooking them in the Instant Pot takes 10 minutes. How’s that for time savings? (If you don’t own an Instant Pot, learn more about it in my article “What Is Instant Pot”).
I already successfully cooked other squashes in my Instant Pot (butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash, and even the whole pumpkin). So I followed the same process for delicata squash, except the cooking time for delicata is less than other squashes because it’s softer!
I like cutting delicata squash in half before cooking. Unlike some other tough pumpkins and squashes, delicata squash is easy to cut. Just place in on a cutting board and cut lengthwise with a sharp knife.
If you want to cook whole delicata squash in the Instant Pot, you can (just increase the pressure cooking time to 15 minutes), but then the problem is that the skin of the squash will explode (even if it’s pierced with a fork beforehand) and it won’t look as nice as 2 separately cooked halves. Ask me how I know :)
How To Cook Delicata Squash In The Instant Pot
Cooking delicata squash in the Instant Pot is really easy. First, cut delicata squash in half.
Next, scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard them.
Next, put delicata squash halves in the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water.
Pressure cook delicata squash on High pressure for 8 minutes, then quick release (QR) the steam. Top with butter and maple syrup and enjoy!
If you like Instant Pot delicata squash, you will also love cooking these other squashes in the Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake a.k.a. delicata squash cheesecake!
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie a.k.a. delicata squash pie!
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup a.k.a. delicata squash soup!
Instant Pot Delicata Squash
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 tbsp butter for serving, optional
- maple syrup for serving, optional
- Cut delicata squash in half lengthwise, then scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, then add delicata squash halves (cut side up).
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 8 minutes on High pressure.
- When it's done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam.
- Remove delicata squash from the Instant Pot, and top with butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.
If you want to cook delicata squash whole (without cutting it in half), you can, just increase pressure cooking time to 15 minutes. Beware that the skin of the whole delicata squash will split, so the presentation will not be as good as when it's cut in half. Click here for all my Instant Pot recipes >>