This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Are you looking for a delicious low carb or gluten free meal? Why not try out this spaghetti squash with hearty meat sauce for dinner! You can use ground beef, turkey, or even plant-based meat crumbles if you want to keep it vegetarian!
About Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is one of those versatile vegetables that is available year-round! It makes a great replacement for noodles in all kinds of pasta dishes, such as this one.
The spaghetti squash is in the same family as pumpkins and other gourds. It is most commonly found in the fall season.
Because of its thick skin, spaghetti squash doesn’t have to be cooked right away. You can keep it on your counter or fridge for weeks if you want!
Health Benefits of Spaghetti Squash
There are some really great reasons to add more spaghetti squash to your diet!
Spaghetti squash is high in vitamins and nutritional value such as vitamin C, B6 and betacarotene. In addition, the squash contains antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in your body to keep you healthy.
Furthermore, spaghetti squash is great for a low carb diet because it is both filling and low in calories! Not to mention, the squash is high in fiber, so it won’t elevate your blood sugar, unlike wheat pasta.
Perfect for anyone trying the keto or whole 30 diets!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
For this recipe you will need:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 9×13 microwavable safe dish
- Large frying pan
- 1 large bowl
- 24 oz. pasta sauce of your choice
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
The first step is to prepare the spaghetti squash.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and put in a large microwave-safe dish cut side down. Add half a cup of water to the dish. Then microwave the spaghetti squash on High for 20 minutes, or until tender. You can test it by stabbing it with a fork.
When done, drain the water. Carefully scoop out and discard the seeds. Scrape the spaghetti squash from the shells and separate into spaghetti-like strands with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste.
While the spaghetti squash is cooking, add your meat to a frying pan and brown until cooked through, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the pasta sauce to the frying pan and mix with cooked ground meat to make the meat sauce.
Portion out cooked spaghetti squash onto 4 serving plates, top with the meat sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Serve and enjoy!
More Microwave Recipes
Did you enjoy this recipe for spaghetti squash? Did you know you can cook lots of food in the microwave? Check out these recipes below for some easy ways to cook food in the microwave!
- Microwave Acorn Squash
- How To Cook Corn In The Husk: Microwave, Grill, Bake, Boil
- How To Cook Bacon In The Microwave
- How To Cook Brussels Sprouts In The Microwave
- How To Cook Asparagus In The Microwave
Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Large bowl
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and put in a large microwave-safe dish cut side down. Add 1/2 cup of water to the dish. Microwave spaghetti squash on High for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the water. Carefully scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out the spaghetti squash from the shells and separate into spaghetti-like strands with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While spaghetti squash is cooking, brown ground meat in a frying pan until cooked through, then add salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta sauce to the frying pan and mix with cooked ground meat to make the meat sauce.
- Put cooked spaghetti squash onto 4 serving plates, top with the meat sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.