This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This microwave acorn squash is the perfect healthy side dish (or main meal!) to serve for dinner. Plus, this squash recipe is the perfect serving for 2 people, so make this for an easy date night at home.
Delicious Microwave Acorn Squash
Acorn squash is one of my favorite recipes to prep and serve for dinner. It has a natural sweetness to it and when it’s cooked right, it’s tender and smooth. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
While most people tend to wait and cook it during Thanksgiving, I find myself cooking this recipe year-round when they are available. You can do so many things with acorn squash.
- Stuff it with meat and grains or even other seasonal veggies.
- Cut them up and make french fries with them.
And that’s just a few suggestions. Take a look at all of my squash recipes to come up with the best way to eat and serve your acorn squash.
If you don’t want to cook this acorn squash in the microwave, you can also cook it in the air fryer or in the oven. You can even cook them in your Instant Pot! I just find cooking acorn squash in the microwave to be the quickest and easiest way.
How To Cook Acorn Squash In The Microwave
To cook this vegetable in the microwave, cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. If you cook a lot of squash, consider getting a special gadget to scoop out the seeds – it will make your life easier!
Add some water to a microwave-safe dish (Pyrex rectangular dish with lid works great).
Place the acorn squash cut-side down into the microwave-safe dish.
Cover the dish with a lid.
Microwave the acorn squash on high for 10 minutes.
Carefully remove the acorn squash halves from the dish with tongs and put on a serving plate cut-side up. Add a bit of salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- You can also save the acorn seeds you scooped out early on in the recipe to roast in the oven later. They make a great addition to any salad or to serve as a healthy afternoon snack.
- To make the squash taste even a little bit sweeter, it’s also great with cinnamon, maple syrup, and melted butter!
What To Serve With Acorn Squash
You can serve the acorn squash as your main dish! I like to do so by stuffing it with cooked ground meat, rice, and beans. Take a look at this stuffed acorn squash recipe for some inspiration.
If you’re looking to keep your meal vegetarian, serve this acorn squash with a side of spinach, apple, and cranberry walnut salad! Pairing these two dishes together really brings out their flavors and makes you feel good.
More Microwave Recipes
If you loved this simple microwave acorn squash recipe, check out some of my other microwave recipes!
These are some of my favorite recipes to make a quick meal or dessert:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Banana Bread Mug Cake
- Cook Bacon In The Microwave
- Keto Bread In A Mug
- Cook Poached Eggs In The Microwave
Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Add water to a microwave-safe dish.
- Put acorn squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover the dish with a lid.
- Microwave the acorn squash on High for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the acorn squash halves from the dish with tongs and put on a serving plate cut-side up. Add salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste. It's also great with cinnamon, maple syrup and melted butter!
- How To Cook Opo Squash
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Pumpkin Soup – use pureed squash instead of pumpkin!