This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This pasta with chicken, mushroom and asparagus is a great hearty comfort food that is healthy at the same time. It is chock-full of nutritious vegetables and lean chicken breast, and doesn’t use any heavy sauces – this is as healthy as a pasta dish can get! Pasta is tossed in olive oil and fresh minced garlic, and combined with freshly cooked asparagus, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and chicken – it tastes so good!
You can make this dish in under 30 minutes, so it’s a perfect weeknight meal! Here’s the strategy to minimize the time you spend cooking: start cooking the pasta, and while the pasta is cooking chop the vegetables and then start cooking them. Now while the vegetables are cooking, cut the chicken into pieces – this way no time is wasted standing around :)
To make this dinner even healthier, you can use a whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta.
- 1 lb pasta
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, until tender. Drain into a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus to the pan. Cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper, and mix until combined. Cook, stirring periodically, for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove the mushroom and asparagus mixture from a frying pan into a bowl.
- Heat another 1 tbsp of oil in that frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked through (no longer pink in center, about 5 minutes). Add ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper and mix.
- Divide the chicken and mushroom/asparagus mixture between 2 large frying pans (half goes in one frying pan, another half in the other). This step is done because all that stuff wouldn't fit into one pan (since you'll later add the pasta!)
- Heat each frying pan over medium heat. Make space in the center of each pan (push the indgredients to the sides). Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into the center of each frying pan. Add minced garlic to the oil and cook for 30 seconds. Add pasta (half of the pasta in one pan, half in the other), and stir until everything is combined and all the pasta is coated with oil.