This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This cheesy one pot sausage penne pasta is so easy to make and so delicious! Ready in 20 minutes from start to finish, this yummy pasta is a perfect weeknight dinner!
I love one pot pastas! They are so easy to make, and best of all, you only need to wash one pot! The less dishes to wash, the better!
One pot pasta is the method of cooking the pasta in its sauce. This means you don’t have to boil the pasta separately in the pot of water and don’t need to drain it! Not having to deal with carrying a pot of boiling water to the sink is priceless! When the pasta cooks in its sauce, the amount of liquid gradually gets reduced, and when the pasta is cooked there is just the right amount of sauce left – just like magic!
This cheesy sausage pasta recipe is similar to my one-pot sausage spaghetti recipe, except this one uses penne pasta instead of spaghetti and also has the whole package of shredded cheese stirred in for the cheesy sauce goodness! The cheese just melts into the sauce, turning it into cheesy pasta sauce, and you can taste the cheesy flavor in every bite!
For the sausage in this pasta, you need to use the Italian or Polish sausage that already comes cooked – they usually sell it in the same refrigerator section of the supermarket as hot dogs. If you only have uncooked sausages on hand, the easiest way to cook them is by baking – see my easy baked Italian sausage recipe.
If you like this easy cheesy one-pot pasta, you will also love these easy recipes:
Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe – this amazing pasta dish is ready in 15 minutes when made with a Rotisserie chicken!
One Pot Pasta Recipe With Ground Beef Or Turkey – another mouthwatering one-pot pasta creation, ready in 20 minutes from start to finish!
Spicy Mexican Pasta Recipe – a hybrid of Mexican and Italian and tastes amazing!
Baked Chicken Fried Rice Recipe – a fried rice baked in a casserole dish, so easy!
BBQ Italian Sausage Recipe – yummy oven baked BBQ sausage recipe, the easiest main dish ever!
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 package (14 oz) cooked Italian or Polish sausage
- 1 jar (25 oz) pasta sauce
- 3 cups water
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded cheese
- Put water and pasta sauce in a pot and mix to combine.
- Slice the sausage into thin slices and put it in a pot.
- Slice garlic and add to the pot.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add pasta to the pot.
- Put the pot on the stove and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until the pasta is cooked and the sauce is reduced (about 12 minutes). If there is too little water and the pasta is not yet cooked, add more water (1/2 at a time).
- Remove cooked pasta from heat and stir in the shredded cheese.