This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Stuffed mushrooms is a very popular hot appetizer. This easy stuffed mushrooms recipe makes such tasty stuffed mushrooms – they are the hit of the party and disappear off the plate immediately!
This stuffed mushrooms recipe uses white button mushroom caps stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, garlic, parmesan cheese, cooked mushroom stems and chopped green onions. The filling for the stuffed mushrooms is so rich and full of flavor, and complements the mushrooms perfectly. The mushrooms are stuffed with this yummy filling and then baked in the oven until piping hot and golden brown.
For a low stress entertaining, this stuffed mushrooms recipe can be made ahead. Just assemble the stuffed mushrooms a day or two before the party, then cover and refrigerate. About 40 minutes before the party, take the stuffed mushrooms out of the refrigerator and bake. Another even lazier way to make stuffed mushrooms ahead is to make the stuffed mushroom recipe the whole way through, including baking. You can refrigerate the stuffed mushrooms, then simply put them on a plate and reheat them in the microwave before the party.
To store stuffed mushrooms in the refrigerator, put them on a large plate in a single layer, then cover with the plastic wrap and refrigerate. If you don’t have space in the refrigerator for a large plate of stuffed mushrooms, you can store stuffed mushrooms in a smaller container. The trick to storing stuffed mushrooms in multiple layers is to separate each layer of stuffed mushrooms with parchment paper, so the mushrooms don’t stick together.
Step-By-Step Directions For Making Stuffed Mushrooms:
Step 1 – Separate Mushroom Caps From Stems
Start with the package of white button mushrooms:
Here are the mushroom caps, without the stems:
Here are the mushroom stems, in their own bowl and ready to be chopped:
Step 2 – Chop The Ingredients For The Filling
First chop the mushroom stems in a food processor:
Here are the green onions to be chopped:
Here are the green onions and garlic in the food processor, right before pressing the button to chop them:
Now chop the onions and garlic in a food processor:
Step 3 – Cook The Ingredients For Stuffed Mushroom Filling
First cook the chopped mushroom stems in a frying pan:
Then add the chopped garlic and green onions to the frying pan:
Step 4 – Mix The Filling
First put the cooked mushroom stems, onions and garlic into a bowl:
Now add the cream cheese to cooked filling:
And also add the Parmesan cheese and pepper:
Now mix until the filling for stuffed mushrooms is combined and smooth:
Taste it and see if it has enough salt, add salt if you’d like. Don’t eat it all up, or you won’t have enough filling for the mushrooms :)
Step 5 – Stuff The Mushrooms With The Filling
Put the mushroom caps on a baking sheet:
Put the filling in each mushroom:
Sprinkle the stuffed mushrooms with bread crumbs:
Now the stuffed mushrooms are fully assembled and ready to be baked!
Step 6 – Bake The Mushrooms
Bake the mushrooms in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes. Here’s the picture of stuffed mushrooms, right out of the oven:
Carefully remove the stuffed mushrooms from a baking sheet and serve on a nice plate:
If you are making the stuffed mushrooms ahead, store them in a refrigerator, with the sheets of parchment paper between each layer of mushrooms, like on the picture below:
Now you know everything there is about making stuffed mushrooms :) This stuffed mushrooms recipe is truly yummy and foolproof. Enjoy!
Easy Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 package 1 lb white button mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green spring onions
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian dried bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Carefully separate the mushroom caps from the stems – just grab each stem with your fingers and twist until it comes off. While you are holding each mushroom, wipe the dirt off the mushroom with a wet paper towel. Put the mushroom caps in one bowl and mushroom stems in another bowl.
- Put the mushroom stems in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse the food processor several times, until the mushroom stems are finely chopped. Move the chopped mushroom stems to a small bowl.
- Put the garlic and green onions in a food processor and pulse several times until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add chopped green onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove the contents of the frying pan to a bowl.
- Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepper to the mushroom stem mixture. Mix until everything is combined. Taste to see if there is enough salt - add salt to taste if necessary.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the mushroom caps on the baking sheet. Using a teaspoon, put the filling inside each mushroom. Sprinkle the mushrooms with dried bread crumbs.
- Put stuffed mushrooms in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Enjoy these stuffed mushrooms – they are so good! When I make this easy stuffed mushrooms recipe for a party, I always double the recipe – these amazing little mushrooms disappear in seconds!