This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Stuffed portobello mushrooms with cottage cheese is a great vegetarian main dish. Portobello mushroom caps are spread with tomato sauce, stuffed with cottage cheese, topped with shredded cheese and baked in the oven. This stuffed portobello recipe is very similar to portobello pizza recipe, but uses cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe With Cottage Cheese
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp pasta sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Instructions How To Make The Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- If the portobello mushrooms have the stems, cut them off and discard – you only need the portobello caps for this stuffed mushroom recipe.
- Pre-cook the portobellos in the microwave – put them on a plate and microwave on High for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the portobello mushrooms evenly with salt and pepper.
- Spread the portobellos with tomato sauce (1 tbsp of sauce for each mushroom cap).
- Put the cottage cheese inside the portobello caps on top of the tomato sauce (distribute the cottage cheese evenly between all the mushrooms).
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with shredded cheese.
- Put the stuffed portobello mushrooms in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
These mushrooms go really well with simple green salads, such as easy salad with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers!