This homemade lemon meringue pie is simply amazing! The flavor of lemon is so fresh, so clean, so smooth, you’ll just keep licking the spoon!
Lemon meringue pie is such a unique creation. It’s unlike any other pie. It has three mouthwatering layers of flavor. The first layer is buttery flaky crust that just melts in your mouth. The second layer is the smooth lemony custard filling with the most cheerful and brightest lemon flavor that swirls around your tongue. The third layer is the light crisp meringue topping that is simply perfect in the combination with the lemon love. Whoever invented the concept of lemon meringue pie is a genius. These flavors are a must-eat.
If a multi-layered pie is outside your baker’s comfort zone, no worries! I’m also a one-bowl-cake kind of baker :) With these easy instructions on how to make lemon meringue pie, I guarantee that you will be successful in making it! It’s all about breaking down the process into simple logical steps and following it like a robot :)
Basically, you are making 3 parts of that lemon meringue pie: (1) crust (2) lemon filling and (3) meringue, and then assembling the pie and baking it. Below are the pictures of various stages to help you visualize the process. Once you have all the ingredients out and the visual steps in mind, you’ll be on a roll!
How To Make Lemon Meringue Pie Step-By-Step
Step 1: Make The Crust
In a food processor, mix the flour, salt, butter and cold water until the mixture turns into dough. Roll the dough into a circle and put into a pie pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Make The Lemon Filling
Over low heat, whisk the mixture of cornstarch, flour, sugar and salt until is starts boiling. Whisk in the egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter and cook for another few minutes until smooth and uniform.
Pour the lemon filling into the baked pie crust.
Step 3: Make The Meringue Topping
In a bowl, whisk the egg whites with a mixer, then gradually add sugar and keep mixing until stiff peaks form.
Add the meringue on top of the pie by a heaping tablespoon.
Bake the lemon meringue pie for 25 minutes at 325F. Cool completely and refrigerate. Serve cold.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cold
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold water
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, whisked with fork
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray the non-stick 10-inch pie pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut butter into pieces. Add butter, flour and salt to the food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 1 minute.
- Pour cold water into the food processor and process for 1 minute, or until the dough ball forms.
- Take the dough ball out of the food processor and flatten into a disk shape.
- Roll the dough on a slightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle.
- Put the dough on the bottom of the pie pan and press onto the sides so the pie crust lines the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Poke several holes in the bottom of the pie crust with a fork.
- Put the pie pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the crust cool before adding the filling.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325F for the next step.
- Put flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and water in a saucepan. Put on medium heat and stir constantly with a whisk or a fork until the mixture comes to low boil.
- Reduce heat to low. While whisking constantly, add the egg yolks to the saucepan.
- Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pie shell. Let stand while making the meringue.
- Put the egg whites, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Mix with a mixer until the whites form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar to the egg whites while mixing. Whip until the egg whites hold stiff peaks (about 10 minutes).
- Take a heaping tablespoon of meringue and put on top of the pie. Repeat until the top of the pie is covered with meringue. On the sides, let the meringue overlap the edge of the pan to prevent the meringue from shrinking.
- Put the pie in the oven and bake at 325F for 25 minutes.
- Let lemon meringue pie cool, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Keep refrigerated.