This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
These edible taco shell bowls make a perfect serving bowl for a taco salad! Flour tortillas are baked in the oven to form a bowl-shaped taco shell using common household items – no special taco bowl molds needed!
Making the tortilla taco bowl is very easy and doesn’t require any special gadgets. You might have seen those “As Seen On Tv” taco bowl molds, but trust me – you don’t really need them. You can use common household items to shape the tortillas into bowls – any oven-safe cups or bowls, empty metal food cans, mason glass jars or even tin foil!
Another great thing about homemade taco shell bowls is that they are baked, not fried. The restaurants deep-fry them, but there is no need to do it at home – you can achieve delicious crispy shells by baking tortillas in the oven. You just need to brush the tortillas with a little oil before baking, and they’ll be amazingly crunchy without the extra fat!
How To Make Baked Tortilla Taco Shell Bowls Step By Step
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
Step 2. Find the items to use as the tortilla bowl molds.
Here are the options:
- Oven-safe cups
- Oven-safe bowls
- Empty metal food cans (labels removed)
- Mason glass jars
- Tin foil
The easiest thing to use as a mold is tin foil :) What you need to do is take a large sheet of tin foil and crumble it into a ball!
Next, smoosh it on the table on both sides to make a flatter bottom (so it stays in place) and a flatter top (so the tortilla bowl will be more stable). Put the taco mold on the baking sheet.
Step 3. Microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds so they are warm and pliable
Step 4. Brush The Tortillas With Oil
Lightly brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides.
Step 5. Prick the tortillas several times with a fork
This is done so the tortilla doesn’t puff up when baking.
Step 6. Drape the tortillas over the taco molds
Put the tortilla on top of the foil ball (or whatever taco mold you are using) and press the tortilla sides down to drape them. This is going to be the tortilla shell bowl (it’s just right now it’s upside down!)
Step 7. Bake for 10 minutes
Remove from the oven when the tortilla is brown and crisp.
Step 8: Flip the tortilla bowls over and take out the molds.
Voila! Here’s your amazing baked tortilla bowl – made from scratch!
Step 9 – Fill with your favorite taco salad and enjoy!
Here are my favorite ingredients for the taco salad – browned ground meat with taco seasoning, corn, lettuce, salsa, shredded cheese, and of course, guacamole!
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Take 4 very large sheets of tin foil and crumble them into 4 balls (approximately 4 inch ball diameter). Press the foil balls into the table on both sides to make a flatter base (for stability) and a flatter top.
- Put the foil balls on a baking sheet.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Lightly brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides.
- Pick the tortillas with the fork in several places.
- Put the tortillas on top of the foil balls and press down the sides of the tortillas to drape them over the foil.
- Put the tortilla shells in the oven and bake for 10 minutes (or until crispy and lightly browned).
- Remove the tortilla shells from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the tortilla bowls over and remove the foil balls.