This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Fluffy, flavorful, and easy to make, this tasty Instant Pot Mexican Rice is sure to become your new favorite side dish! Made with just 5 simple pantry ingredients, this recipe takes just 20 minutes to whip together!
Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe
You are going to love this recipe! It’s a great addition to Taco Tuesday with some of my delicious Instant Pot Black Beans. And if you’re a burrito bowl lover then this Mexican rice makes the perfect bottom layer to my Air Fryer Chicken Breasts and all the fixing like cheese, salsa, and Guacamole.
But not only is it easy to make, but this Instant Pot Mexican rice is tasty too! You can thank some taco seasoning, chicken broth, olive oil, and tomato sauce for that. Just those basic ingredients alone turn simple white rice into a yummy side dish loaded with flavor.
All you have to do is accurately measure out the ingredients and the Instant Pot does the rest! In fact, cooking rice in the Instant Pot is one of the easiest ways to make rice that turns out perfectly cooked every time. But if you’ve tried my Instant Pot Coconut Rice or Instant Pot Sushi Rice then you already know this and this Instant Pot Mexican rice is just another fantastic option for you to choose from!
How To Make Mexican Rice in the Instant Pot
This IP recipe only requires a handful of ingredients that you can find at any market!
- Long Grain White Rice – Any type of long-grain white rice will work. I used jasmine rice.
- Chicken Stock – You can also use vegetable stock, beef stock, or even water. Just keep in mind that water will result in blander Mexican rice.
- Taco Seasoning – You’ll need a package of store-bought taco seasoning or spice mix. You can also make your own homemade taco seasoning if you like.
- Olive Oil – I like the flavor that olive oil adds to the rice. Yet, vegetable oil is another option. However, you can omit the oil if you prefer.
- Tomato Sauce – You need a can of tomato puree. If you don’t have any on hand leftover pasta sauce could work in a pinch.
Once you have all your ingredients together this Instant Pot Mexican rice comes together in a snap!
To begin, add the uncooked rice to the pot of the IP followed by the chicken stock, taco seasoning, olive oil, and tomato sauce. Then close the lid and turn the valve to the sealing position.
Now, press the pressure cook button and set the time for 5 minutes on HIGH pressure.
After the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the steam naturally release for 10 minutes. Then turn the valve to quick release and let the remainder of the steam escape.
Once all the steam has released and the pin drops, open the lid and stir the rice a bit. Then put the Mexican rice in a bowl and serve!
- Do not add any mix-ins like beans, corn, or green peas until after the rice is done cooking.
- Be careful not to overmix the cooked rice. You just want to distribute the tomato sauce and fluff it up a bit.
- You must let the steam naturally release for 10 minutes. Not doing so will result in rice that is not properly cooked.
Can I Use Brown Rice?
Brown rice will not work for this recipe because it requires a longer cooking time and a different ratio of rice to liquid.
How to Store Cooked Rice?
Leftover Instant Pot Mexican rice will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months when stored in an airtight container or sealed freezer bag.
What To Serve With Mexican Rice
It can also be served with some simple Pinto Beans as a vegetarian meal. I’ve even served this yummy rice with my Mexican Scrambled Eggs for breakfast! So be as creative as you like. This rice pairs well with almost any dish.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
If you enjoyed learning how to make Mexican rice in the Instant Pot then I welcome you to check out some of my other IP recipes! These are just a few of my favorite dishes.
- Chicken Drumsticks In The Instant Pot
- Frozen Ravioli In The Instant Pot
- Chicken Tortilla Soup In The Instant Pot
- Frozen Tamales In The Instant Pot
- Bratwurst In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot. Then turn the valve to the sealing position. Now, press the pressure cook button and set the time for 5 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Then quick release the remaining steam.
- After all the pressure is released and the pin drops, remove the lid and mix the rice a bit. Then transfer the Mexican rice to your serving dish and enjoy.