This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Make a batch of homemade Instant Pot sushi rice the next time you decide to serve an authentic Asian dish! This white sticky rice recipe takes a total of 14 minutes to cook which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner meal with the family.
Instant Pot Sushi Rice Recipe
I have to admit… this is an Instant Pot recipe I’ve been working to perfect for a few weeks and I am happy to report that my recipe for Instant Pot sushi rice is finally ready to be shared!
Cooking this sticky rice in the Instant Pot has helped me make the perfect sushi rice every single time. It tastes amazing!
You might be wondering- why not just use regular white rice? Is there actually a difference?
Well, sushi rice is typically a short-grain rice that contains a lot more starch than say the regular long-grain rice that many of us eat. Having that extra starch is what helps make the rice sticky and gives it texture for some of those classic Asian dishes. Click here to get sushi rice on Amazon.
Ingredients Needed To Make Sushi Rice
To make this Instant Pot recipe, you will only need 3 ingredients:
- Sushi rice
- Mirin rice seasoning
How To Make Perfect Sushi Rice In The Instant Pot
Close the lid and turn the valve to a sealing position. Press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button and set the time to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure.
When the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally (NR) for 10 minutes followed by a quick release (QR) to release the remaining steam.
Open the Instant Pot, remove the cooked rice from the Instant Pot, and serve!
- Make sure to NOT skip out on the Mirin. This mirin seasoning is what gives the sushi rice its sweeter, almost vinegary flavor profile. Think of umami! It’s also what helps make sushi rice sticky.
What To Serve With Homemade Sushi Rice
Sushi rice has a great flavor profile but it also works as a blank canvas. There are so many things you can use it for.
My family LOVES sweet and sour chicken so I like to cook that up as a meal and serve it with white sushi rice. If I am trying to go for something a bit simpler and lighter, I’ll cook up some sushi rice in the Instant Pot while I simmer some delicious egg drop soup on the stovetop and chop up my favorite Asian spicy cucumber salad with sesame.
Want a homemade sushi recipe to make with Instant Pot sushi rice? Check out my homemade California rolls!
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you loved this recipe for Instant Pot sushi rice, check out some of my other Instant Pot side dishes!
These are some of my family’s favorites:
- Instant Pot Frozen Mixed Veggies
- Cooked Chickpeas In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Frozen Spinach In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Red Kidney Beans Recipe
Instant Pot Sushi Rice
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Put sushi rice, water and mirin in the Instant Pot. Close the lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 4 minutes on High pressure.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, let the pressure release naturally (NR) for 10 minutes, then quick release (QR) the remaining steam.
- Open the Instant Pot, remove cooked rice from the Instant Pot and serve.