This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Some nights, I’m just in the mood for a big bowl of soup for dinner and I’m always on the hunt for a quick and simple soup recipe. Bring in this egg drop soup recipe! With just a few simple ingredients and a couple of large eggs, you can have a warm, filling soup on the table in just under 15 minutes!
Yummy Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Any time we order Chinese food, I always order a cup of egg drop soup because it’s one of my favorites! This last time around, I really thought about it and was really curious… just how hard is it to make homemade egg drop soup?
Let me tell you- it’s not that hard! It’s actually super easy to make a batch and it tastes exactly like the egg drop soup from a Chinese restaurant.
Ingredients You Need To Make Homemade Egg Drop Soup
To make this egg drop soup right in your kitchen, you will need these ingredients:
- Chicken stock
- Corn starch
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Garlic powder
If you want to make this soup recipe gluten-free, make sure to buy gluten-free soy sauce (you might find it under tamari sauce) or coconut aminos.
How To Make Egg Drop Soup At Home
Mix 1/2 cup of chicken stock and cornstarch in a cup with a fork until it’s all smooth and set it aside for later.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs together and set it aside as well.
Pour the remaining chicken stock, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, and pepper in a pot and bring everything to a boil.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir with a whisk for 30 seconds, or until it’s fully incorporated.
Slowly pour the egg mixture to the pot, whisking the soup constantly with a whisk in a single direction. The eggs will cook as soon as they land in the boiling soup.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve!
- When pouring the egg mixture into the soup, do NOT stop stirring. Pausing in between stirs will cause the texture of the soup to be very different than what you are normally used to.
- To make this soup keto, omit the cornstarch (cornstarch adds 7 grams of carbs).
What To Serve With Egg Drop Soup
If I’m honest, 90% of the time I eat this amazing soup all on its own. If I’m feeling extra hungry and feel like I need to serve it with something else, I usually serve it with a bowl of white rice. You can also serve it with a side of noodles like rice or lo mein noodles.
More Asian Food Recipes
If you loved this delicious egg drop soup recipe, you will also love some of these other soup recipes!
Are you a big fan of Asian cuisine? Here are some of my other favorite Asian recipes I make all the time:
- Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Orange Chicken Recipe
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- Homemade Chinese Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Mix 1/2 cup of chicken stock and cornstarch in a cup with a fork until smooth and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the remaining chicken stock, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder and pepper in a pot and bring to boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir with a whisk for 30 seconds, or until fully incorporated.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture to the pot, whisking the soup constantly with a whisk in a single direction. The eggs will cook as soon as they land in a boiling soup.
- Laddle the soup into bowls and serve.