This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
It’s so easy to make perfectly seasoned juicy and tender Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken Thighs! This simple 30-minute recipe is absolutely delicious and the ideal main dish for a quick weeknight meal!
Bone-In Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Chicken thighs are one of the juiciest parts of the chicken and cooking them on the bone helps to lock in all the flavor. But cooking them on the bone also typically means that they take longer to cook. Yet, this isn’t the case when you cook them in the Instant Pot! Pressure cooking is a fantastic way to cook the thighs faster without drying them out. In fact, it actually makes them even more tender.
And with this Instant Pot bone-in chicken thighs recipe, the IP does all the work! Once the thighs are seasoned to your liking, you set the pot to cook for 25 minutes while you make the rest of your 30-minute meal. You don’t have to stand over the stove or even flip them over.
Not to mention, this dish is really versatile. The chicken thighs can be eaten whole with your favorite sides or the meat can be shredded to add to dishes like burrito bowls. You can even make the thighs ahead of time for lunches or to make chicken salad.
How to Make Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken Thighs
This recipe is foolproof! No fancy or expensive ingredients are needed.
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
To start, you need to open your Instant Pot and add one cup of water.
Now, generously season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Then rub the seasonings into the chicken. It’s super important to use lots of seasoning because a good amount of it gets lost in the water. So don’t worry, you aren’t putting too much on. It’s how you make the thighs flavorful.
Also, these are the seasonings that I chose to use. But you can use any herbs or spices you like on your chicken thighs. You may want to add some cumin for a Mexican meal or add some oregano for an Italian.
Next, place the chicken thighs in the Instant Pot. I put mine right in the water, but you can put them on a trivet if you prefer. Then close the lid and turn the valve to the sealing position. Now, press the pressure cook button and set the time to 25 minutes on high pressure.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking the thighs, quick release the stem. For safety reasons, you must allow it to be completely released until the pin drops before you remove the lid.
It’s also a good idea to use a digital cooking thermometer to make sure that the chicken is fully cooked and has reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F. If not, you need to cook the thighs for a few more minutes.
Then to serve, remove the chicken from the IP and enjoy with some tasty homemade BBQ sauce!
Chicken thighs in the Instant Pot will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge or up to 4 months in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat, put the thighs in the microwave for about 3 minutes on medium power. If frozen, it’s best to let the chicken completely thaw out prior to reheating.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs cooked in the Instant Pot are super versatile! You can eat them with a few sides or shred the meat and add it to almost anything. Here are some recipes to give you ideas.
- Air Fryer Frozen Crinkle Cut Fries
- How To Saute Asparagus
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Boxed Stuffing In The Instant Pot
- Carrot Raisin Salad With Apple
More Instant Pot Recipes
Cooking in the Instant Pot makes cooking both quick and easy. So if you enjoyed these Instant Pot bone-in chicken thighs, then you should definitely check out some of my other IP recipes!
- Gnocchi In The Instant Pot
- Chicken Tortilla Soup In The Instant Pot
- IP Great Northern Beans
- Fresh Spinach Steamed In The Instant Pot
- Easy IP Frozen Veggies
Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Bone-In Skin on Chicken Thighs
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Open the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water.
- Generously season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. It's important to use a lot of the seasonings and to rub them in well.
- Put the seasoned thighs in the Instant Pot. You can put them on a trivet or in the water like I do. Now, close the lid on the IP, turn the valve to the sealing position, press the pressure cook button, and then set the time to 25 minutes on high pressure.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release the stem. Then allow it to be completely released until the pin drops before opening the lid.
- To serve, remove the chicken thighs from the Instant Pot and enjoy!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast In The Air Fryer
- Easy Fried Chicken
- Baked Spicy Chicken Legs
- Bone-In Chicken Breast Roasted