This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This Instant Pot BBQ sauce is so finger-lickin’ good! Once you try homemade barbecue sauce, you’ll never want to go back to bottled!
I love homemade BBQ sauce! Its flavor is so complex and mouthwatering, it turns any meal into a feast! Slather it on a plain chicken breast and transform it into something special, just like magic.
I have a tried-and-true BBQ sauce recipe that I’ve been making for years. Once I got my Instant Pot, what’s the next logical thing to do? Adapt my barbecue sauce recipe to the Instant Pot, of course! If you don’t own an Instant Pot, read my article “What Is Instant Pot” to learn more about my favorite kitchen tool.
This homemade barbecue sauce has tomato base flavored with onions, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar and chili powder. All these flavorings really blend together when pressure cooked in the Instant Pot, resulting in a truly one-of-a-kind mouthwatering flavor!
Making BBQ sauce is the Instant Pot is really easy. The first step of making homemade BBQ sauce is sauteing onions in oil, and thanks to the Instant Pot’s “Saute” function, it can be done right then and there in the Instant Pot!
So first saute the onions on a “Saute” setting, then add the rest of the BBQ sauce ingredients: ketchup, garlic, chili powder, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper (for the exact ingredient proportions, see the printable recipe card on the bottom of this article). Mix until combined, close the lid and pressure cook on High pressure for 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes natural release (NR) and then quick release (QR).
Open the lid and enjoy this amazing homemade barbecue sauce!
This barbecue sauce keeps in a refrigerator for up to a week, or you can freeze extras in a ziploc bag and thaw in a microwave or in a refrigerator overnight when ready to use.
My most frequently made recipe that uses this homemade BBQ sauce is baked chicken thighs – I just toss boneless skinless chicken thighs in this sauce and bake at 400F for 40 minutes or until cooked through. They come out so tender and juicy! Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side, as people can’t get enough of this homemade yummy sauce!
Looking for Instant Pot recipes to go with Instant Pot BBQ sauce? These are a must-make:
Instant Pot BBQ Baby Back Ribs – this ribs are truly fall-off-the-bone, better than in any restaurant! Truly melt in your mouth and mouthwatering!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken – this is such an easy recipe and such a crowd pleaser! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Want to see all my Instant Pot recipes? Click here for my whole Instant Pot recipe collection >>
Instant Pot BBQ Sauce
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Add the oil and onions to the Instant Pot and press the "Saute" button and set the time to 15 minutes. Saute the onions, stirring every 30 seconds, until golden-brown (about 5 minutes). Press the "Cancel" button to stop sauteing.
- Add ketchup, garlic, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the onions Instant Pot. Mix until combined, making sure no onions are stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 5 minutes on High pressure.
- When it's done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release (QR) the remaining steam.
- Homemade barbecue sauce will keep in a refrigerator for a week, or it can be frozen for later use.
Also, check out these Instant Pot recipes: