This ground beef and cabbage casserole is your perfect low-carb comfort food! So simple and delicious!
Beef and cabbage is a classic combination, the most well-know recipe that uses beef and cabbage together is stuffed cabbage rolls. There is also a lazy version of the cabbage rolls called unstuffed cabbage rolls that just cooks the beef and cabbage and other ingredients in a pot (without rolling into rolls). This recipe is another twist on the good ol’ beef and cabbage – the ingredients are layered into a casserole dish, topped with shredded cheese and baked to perfection!
Most beef and cabbage casseroles on the Internet include tomato sauce, but this one does not. So if you are trying to cut carbs, particularly on a keto diet, omitting tomato sauce cuts your carbs even further. If that’s your goal (or you simply don’t like tomato sauce), you’ve got your wish – this awesome beef and cabbage casserole recipe without tomato sauce in it!
This low-carb beef and cabbage casserole has just 5 simple low-carb ingredients: ground beef, shredded cabbage, onion, eggs and shredded cheese! No tomato sauce here 🙂
You can shred the cabbage in just a few minutes by cutting it in wedges and then putting them in a food processor fitted with a shredder disk. Or you can use bagged coleslaw mix to save yourself a step 🙂
Making this baked ground beef and cabbage casserole is really easy. First, brown the ground beef with chopped onion. While it’s cooking, mix the shredded cabbage with eggs. Next, layer half of the cabbage in a casserole dish, top with browned beef, then a layer of a remaining shredded cabbage, and sprinkle with shredded cheese on top. Put it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. That’s all there is to this simple low-carb casserole! For exact ingredient proportions, see the printable recipe card on the bottom of this article.
If you like this ground beef and cabbage casserole, you will also love these other easy recipes:
Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Casserole – another one-pot beef and cabbage meal made in the Instant Pot!
Keto Baked Meatballs – these oven baked meatballs are truly low-carb, no bread crumbs needed!
Instant Pot Cabbage And Sausage – this is a true “dump” meal, put the ingredients in the Instant Pot and get an awesome keto dinner!
Red Cabbage Coleslaw – here’s a fun twist on coleslaw: make it from red cabbage instead of the usual white/green cabbage! So yummy!
Meat and Cabbage Egg Roll In A Bowl – tastes like the egg roll without a wrapper! Make your favorite takeout dish low-carb!
- 1½ lbs ground beef or turkey
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded (or 2 bags of coleslaw mix)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded cheese
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, ¾ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Put shredded cabbage, eggs, ¾ tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of pepper in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Spray a non-stick 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Put half of the cabbage mixture in a baking dish and spread in a layer. Add the beef mixture on top of the cabbage mixture and spread in a layer. Add the remaining cabbage mixture and spread in a layer. Sprinkle the casserole with shredded cheese.
- Put the beef and cabbage casserole in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Also, check out my keto recipes page for other awesome low-carb yummies, including the famous keto bread!